Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Your thoughts on plagiarism  (Read 486 times)

SLwriter

• View Profile
    • Email
Your thoughts on plagiarism
« on: August 05, 2004, 05:43:29 PM »
I'm a writer researching an article for Student Lawyer magazine about plagiarism. I'm looking for a few law students who'd be interested in chatting with me today or tomorrow (Friday) about your observations on the subject. Questions I'd like to ask:
--How clear is your law school on what is and is not plagiarism?
--Do these rules make sense to you? Any chance of confusion?
--Can you tell me a good plagiarism story? What happened? Did the student get caught? (How?) What were the repercussions?
--Do you believe intent should figure into the penalty? That is, how important is it whether someone was just being sloppy about citation or was really trying to get away with cheating?
--What factors might tempt a law student with a whole lot at stake to plagiarize someone else's work?
--And if you've actually been accused of plagiarism--or done it-- and would like to talk about it without attribution, I'd love to talk with you.
That should do for now. If you read this and have something to say, please respond. We could continue the discussion by phone or e-mail.
Hope to hear from you.

SLwriter

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Your thoughts on plagiarism
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2004, 08:55:06 PM »
It occurred to me that one reason I've had 39 readers and no responders might be that people read posts without registering. So--if you have thoughts on this topic, you could e-mail me at janebahls@aol.com or call me this evening (Friday) at 309-787-2955. I'll be up very late.
Thanks!
--Jane Bahls