Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Need Laptop Recommendations  (Read 3641 times)

rainmkr07

• Sr. Citizen
  • Heading to Hofstra Law!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Rainmkr07
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - Rainmkr07
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Need Laptop Recommendations
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2004, 11:11:08 AM »
You HAVE to have a 3.5?  I highly doubt that.

With things online and almost all computers having CD/RW's.... I doubt they require 3.5's...

But maybe they do... /shrug

vw515

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2004, 09:42:30 PM »
Laptops do not take floppys anymore unless you buy it sepratley. Everything is CDR and USB Scandisks are the best way to transfer files.

Sassy

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2004, 12:20:02 AM »
Yes, but sadly at my school they only allow us to use 3.5 disks to save our exams -- we use softest (not sure if it's a limitation imposed by softest or my school).  Maybe other schools allow students to save to a CD drive in exams, but for some reason mine doesn't.  Sounds like schools differ so the best approach is probably to check with your school.  But like I said, even if they require 3.5 drives for softest, it's not a big deal because you can use an external drive for the exam with no problem.

uagirliegirl

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2004, 08:14:10 PM »
You HAVE to have a 3.5?  I highly doubt that.

With things online and almost all computers having CD/RW's.... I doubt they require 3.5's...

But maybe they do... /shrug

My school requires a floppy drive for exams too, and I've heard from students at other schools that this is a common requirement.

tencigars

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2005, 09:45:05 AM »
..Regardless of which laptop you choose, I strongly suggest purchasing a warranty with it.  Best Buy has a really good one - when your laptop battery wears out, you can just come into the store and they'll replace the battery for free.  It covers far more, obviously :)  Hope this helps!

I strongly recommend against getting a laptop at Best Buy precisely because of their warranty.  It sounds good, though expensive, at the outset, but I can tell you from personal experience it's very inferior to the warranties you can purchase from Dell, Gateway, etc.

I bought a Compaq laptop at Best Buy for $1100+ and then purchased their extended three year warranty for a whopping $270 extra.  A few months later the power input connection on the back became loose causing my laptop to switch back and forth from AC to battery power, so I took the laptop into the store.  Guess what, during the first year, because there is a one-year manufacturer's warranty, they ship the laptop to the manufacturer rather than working on it at their shop.  What's worse is they wait until they have a few and ship them slow mail.  They told me THREE WEEKS TO GET IT BACK.  I told them I couldn't wait that long and would have to take it elsewhere to get it fixed, to which they replied THAT WOULD VOID MY WARRANTY.

Well, I really couldn't wait that long, so I stopped by an electronics shop and the salesguy there suggested I call Compaq directly.  Guess what, Compaq paid for overnight UPS to and from their service center--I got my laptop back fixed in 4 days!  Why didn't Best Buy mention this option?  Losers.  (The guy at Best Buy had kept referring to me as "chief.")

A year later, after the one year manufacturer's warranty had expired, lightning struck my Florida home and the laptop was fried.  I brought it in for repair or replacement at Best Buy (their warranty covers electrical damage).  Weeks later the store says my laptop is back from their service center (another area of the state)..guess what?  They said the damage was not covered by the warranty because it was abuse.  Further, they said that the service center notes show that they called me, told me, and that I declined to pay the $800 for repairs.  Nobody had called me.  They just flat out lied at the service center.

I asked them how it was abuse?  They said the service center notes said "excessive voltage."  Ugh!  I said, of course..lightning..duh!  Since lightning strikes were covered under the warranty I spoke with a manager back and forth over the course of a week and he sent the laptop back out to their service center where they kept it another week before labeling "dead."

Finally I was given store credit for the depreciated value of my laptop (899.99) and was allowed to apply that toward the purchase of a replacement.

Ugh!

Get a Dell or Gateway, etc., with an on-site warranty.  Someone comes out to fix your machine a day or two after you report the problem.  No questions asked.  Batteries may not be covered, but I consider that a small matter compared to being without your laptop for a month under the Best Buy warranty.

tjking82

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2005, 11:47:35 AM »
..Regardless of which laptop you choose, I strongly suggest purchasing a warranty with it.  Best Buy has a really good one - when your laptop battery wears out, you can just come into the store and they'll replace the battery for free.  It covers far more, obviously :)  Hope this helps!

I strongly recommend against getting a laptop at Best Buy precisely because of their warranty.  It sounds good, though expensive, at the outset, but I can tell you from personal experience it's very inferior to the warranties you can purchase from Dell, Gateway, etc.

I bought a Compaq laptop at Best Buy for $1100+ and then purchased their extended three year warranty for a whopping $270 extra.  A few months later the power input connection on the back became loose causing my laptop to switch back and forth from AC to battery power, so I took the laptop into the store.  Guess what, during the first year, because there is a one-year manufacturer's warranty, they ship the laptop to the manufacturer rather than working on it at their shop.  What's worse is they wait until they have a few and ship them slow mail.  They told me THREE WEEKS TO GET IT BACK.  I told them I couldn't wait that long and would have to take it elsewhere to get it fixed, to which they replied THAT WOULD VOID MY WARRANTY.

Well, I really couldn't wait that long, so I stopped by an electronics shop and the salesguy there suggested I call Compaq directly.  Guess what, Compaq paid for overnight UPS to and from their service center--I got my laptop back fixed in 4 days!  Why didn't Best Buy mention this option?  Losers.  (The guy at Best Buy had kept referring to me as "chief.")

A year later, after the one year manufacturer's warranty had expired, lightning struck my Florida home and the laptop was fried.  I brought it in for repair or replacement at Best Buy (their warranty covers electrical damage).  Weeks later the store says my laptop is back from their service center (another area of the state)..guess what?  They said the damage was not covered by the warranty because it was abuse.  Further, they said that the service center notes show that they called me, told me, and that I declined to pay the $800 for repairs.  Nobody had called me.  They just flat out lied at the service center.

I asked them how it was abuse?  They said the service center notes said "excessive voltage."  Ugh!  I said, of course..lightning..duh!  Since lightning strikes were covered under the warranty I spoke with a manager back and forth over the course of a week and he sent the laptop back out to their service center where they kept it another week before labeling "dead."

Finally I was given store credit for the depreciated value of my laptop (899.99) and was allowed to apply that toward the purchase of a replacement.

Ugh!

Get a Dell or Gateway, etc., with an on-site warranty.  Someone comes out to fix your machine a day or two after you report the problem.  No questions asked.  Batteries may not be covered, but I consider that a small matter compared to being without your laptop for a month under the Best Buy warranty.

How is the warranty on an IBM Thinkpad?  They say International Onsite 3yr warranty.

rezipsa

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2005, 02:30:49 PM »

How is the warranty on an IBM Thinkpad?  They say International Onsite 3yr warranty.

Get a Dell. 
My mother board had some "issues" and they came to my house that next day and replaced it.  Grant it that when I called the tech support I was frantic because all of my notes and outlines were on my computer.  Dell's tech support is awesome and well worth it.

tjking82

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2005, 02:40:35 PM »

Get a Dell. 
My mother board had some "issues" and they came to my house that next day and replaced it.  Grant it that when I called the tech support I was frantic because all of my notes and outlines were on my computer.  Dell's tech support is awesome and well worth it.

Yeah, but from what I've heard, that's not uncommon with Dells.  (the breakdown)

IBM Thinkpads are highly regarded, and my LS has an excellent deal on them.  They come with an Extended International Onsite Warranty for 3 years.  This sounds like the exact same deal as you got with Dell - I just want to make sure they're quick to fix and all.

rezipsa

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2005, 12:10:54 PM »

Get a Dell. 

Yeah, but from what I've heard, that's not uncommon with Dells.  (the breakdown)

IBM Thinkpads are highly regarded, and my LS has an excellent deal on them.  They come with an Extended International Onsite Warranty for 3 years.  This sounds like the exact same deal as you got with Dell - I just want to make sure they're quick to fix and all.

Either way, get the extended warranty.  Since you will be relying on it on a daily basis, you don't want to have any additional "issues"...

uagirliegirl

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2005, 03:12:15 AM »
i didn't realize my post was still going. :)

for what it's worth, i ended up buying a Dell Inspiron 600m.  it works well, but whenever i need to talk to dell customer service i end up talking to someone in india who doesn't speak english very well.  it's frustrating.  i've spent hours trying to explain myself.  if you can handle the poor customer service, then you'll love a dell.