Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Need Laptop Recommendations  (Read 3619 times)

uagirliegirl

Need Laptop Recommendations
« on: July 28, 2004, 08:45:48 PM »
What type of laptop is great for a law student? What type is awful? Anyone heard anything about Tablet PC's? Thanks!

Todd

• View Profile
Re: Need Laptop Recommendations
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2004, 09:55:55 PM »
Do a search on the board for laptops, there is a lot of great advice.

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2004, 10:41:33 PM »
Get a thinkpad from IBM.  They are the BMWs of laptops.  If you know anyone at Harvard, they can get one for you for 35% off the normal price and with a 3-year warranty.

vw515

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2004, 12:47:31 AM »
I have a Dell 600m it is pretty good I love it plus you can get preety good discounts just be careful because you can get one deal this week and next week a better one is there that sucks

rainmkr07

• Sr. Citizen
  • Heading to Hofstra Law!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Rainmkr07
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - Rainmkr07
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2004, 03:42:16 PM »
you only need to post it in one forum   :P

but compaq at best buy is the best bet and its way cheaper than dell or ibm  :P

HastingsGal07

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2004, 05:07:12 PM »
^I agree wholeheartedly.  Also, laptops these days are all standard in terms of quality - if you take good care of your laptop (e.g. don't install lots of unnecessary programs, remove spyware, don't leave programs in your system tray running all the time so that your computer runs more efficiently, etc) it'll last.  No one laptop brand will outlast another one necessarily; it's all about how savvy you are as a user.

Regardless of which laptop you choose, I strongly suggest purchasing a warranty with it.  Best Buy has a really good one - when your laptop battery wears out, you can just come into the store and they'll replace the battery for free.  It covers far more, obviously :)  Hope this helps!

uagirliegirl

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2004, 10:54:00 PM »
Oops, didn't realize that everyone read all the other boards. I personally don't. The first board I posted on didn't respond for quite awhile, and I wanted fast answers, which is why I posted on this board. I didn't think it would offend or bother anyone. My bad.

rainmkr07

• Sr. Citizen
  • Heading to Hofstra Law!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Rainmkr07
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - Rainmkr07
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2004, 11:38:58 AM »
I will forgive you if you buy a compaq laptop  ;)

Benjamin

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2004, 10:46:26 PM »
The Sony TR line is fantastic.  I used mine the first half of this year as an undergraduate.  There is no other laptop line out yet that I would consider switching mine for. 

3.1 lbs, 3.5 - 6hr battery, 1280x768 high viewing angle screen, cdrw-dvd, 1ghz, 512 ram, 40gb, 802.11g, screen mounted 640 x 480 swiveling motion camera.

Head and shoulders above the competition.

Sassy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2004, 01:15:12 PM »
Definitely go for a light computer - you'll be lugging it around for 3 years.  I pretty much don't go anywhere without my laptop.  I started out with one that was about 7 pounds and after about two months I made the switch to the 3 pound Sony and it was the best thing ever. If you plan to take your exams on laptop though you may need a 3.5 drive, which are hard to find nowdays integrated into a laptop.  But you can use an external drive for the exam with no problem.