Law School Discussion

Did you do well on LSAT without a taking an LSAT couse

cherpapa

Did you do well on LSAT without a taking an LSAT couse
« on: July 26, 2004, 11:56:04 AM »
I have no time to take one, so wanted to know if it could be worth my while.

S.B.H.

Re: Did you do well on LSAT without a taking an LSAT couse
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2004, 12:24:28 PM »
I did well without it, but I think I would have done better if I had taken a course.  Some universities offer cheap prep courses.  My school offered one for $150.  If you study on your own you can do well, you just need to be disciplined and make the time.  I think the hardest part of the test to study for without a class is the logic game section.  I undoubtably would have done better with some guidance on taking that section.  If you can find it on the cheap it is worth it, but on the other hand I don't think paying a grand to KAPLAN is worth it.

uagirliegirl

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2004, 06:34:31 PM »
Do you think 161 is a good score? If so than you can do well without a prep course. I didn't take one, and I scored 161. I bought a Kaplin book, read through it and then took about 10 practice LSATS (you can buy these at a bookstore).  I took the tests under actual conditions (timed, early in the morning, on Saturdays, etc).

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2004, 03:56:24 PM »
I'm personally not a big fan of paying big fees for test prep courses. My sister took Kaplan and improved about 4 points. I took the test after studying only the prior exams that come in with your registration and make a 162. Then I went and picked up the LSAT 180 book from (can't remember who makes it), studied in a more paced manner and improved to a 170.

Your biggest improvement will come on the logic/problem sections. You should develop a system for those babbies pretty quickly. The reading comp section is probably out of your hands by this point.

JH

onehandedreader

• Balzac, Jaws of Death
    • View Profile
    • how real can one keep it?
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2004, 04:29:11 PM »
i scored a 166(95th %ile) without taking a prep course, and on practice tests i was averaging higher.  prepcourses are a complete waste of money unless you can't keep yourself focused and need the structure to stay on schedule. like thepope said, i knew people that spent $1000+ on courses and went up only a few points, while i studied on my own and went up by 15.  buy an lsat book, i used 'mastering the lsat,' and all the preptests you can from lsac.  go through the book, supplementing with preptests, then do a preptest every other day or so, going over every answer the next day and figuring out why each is right or wrong.  good luck.

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2004, 06:11:50 PM »
  I scored a 168 without a course.  I practiced by using the real LSATs...my scores on those ranged from a 165-170 so they were a pretty accurate indicator for me.

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2004, 05:50:56 PM »
I scored a 161 and spent exactly $0 on test prep.  I checked on a 1996 LSAT prep book from my local library, downloaded the free practice materials from LSDAS, and that was it. 

Dicta

• Life Is Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2004, 12:18:40 PM »
I agree. Do the practice tests until you know the thought patterns!
Susan

Tom

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2004, 12:55:46 PM »
I scored 177 on the June LSAT test and did not take a course.
I did a total of 12 former LSAT test starting  2 months before the actual test.
My practice scores ranged between 174-180, so they were a good predictor for me.
I have to admit that I do well on standardized test (I scored 700 on the SAT verbal when I was in 7th grade, and when I took it again my junior year in HS I scored 800.