Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Did you do well on LSAT without a taking an LSAT couse  (Read 3305 times)

cherpapa

Did you do well on LSAT without a taking an LSAT couse
« on: July 26, 2004, 01:56:04 PM »
I have no time to take one, so wanted to know if it could be worth my while.

S.B.H.

Re: Did you do well on LSAT without a taking an LSAT couse
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2004, 02:24:28 PM »
I did well without it, but I think I would have done better if I had taken a course.  Some universities offer cheap prep courses.  My school offered one for $150.  If you study on your own you can do well, you just need to be disciplined and make the time.  I think the hardest part of the test to study for without a class is the logic game section.  I undoubtably would have done better with some guidance on taking that section.  If you can find it on the cheap it is worth it, but on the other hand I don't think paying a grand to KAPLAN is worth it.

uagirliegirl

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2004, 08:34:31 PM »
Do you think 161 is a good score? If so than you can do well without a prep course. I didn't take one, and I scored 161. I bought a Kaplin book, read through it and then took about 10 practice LSATS (you can buy these at a bookstore).  I took the tests under actual conditions (timed, early in the morning, on Saturdays, etc).

thepope

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2004, 05:56:24 PM »
I'm personally not a big fan of paying big fees for test prep courses. My sister took Kaplan and improved about 4 points. I took the test after studying only the prior exams that come in with your registration and make a 162. Then I went and picked up the LSAT 180 book from (can't remember who makes it), studied in a more paced manner and improved to a 170.

Your biggest improvement will come on the logic/problem sections. You should develop a system for those babbies pretty quickly. The reading comp section is probably out of your hands by this point.

JH

onehandedreader

• Sr. Citizen
  • Balzac, Jaws of Death
    • View Profile
    • how real can one keep it?
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2004, 06:29:11 PM »
i scored a 166(95th %ile) without taking a prep course, and on practice tests i was averaging higher.  prepcourses are a complete waste of money unless you can't keep yourself focused and need the structure to stay on schedule. like thepope said, i knew people that spent $1000+ on courses and went up only a few points, while i studied on my own and went up by 15.  buy an lsat book, i used 'mastering the lsat,' and all the preptests you can from lsac.  go through the book, supplementing with preptests, then do a preptest every other day or so, going over every answer the next day and figuring out why each is right or wrong.  good luck.
www.antihumanity.com
how real can one keep it?

Janette

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2004, 08:11:50 PM »
  I scored a 168 without a course.  I practiced by using the real LSATs...my scores on those ranged from a 165-170 so they were a pretty accurate indicator for me.

JD_MSA

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2004, 07:50:56 PM »
I scored a 161 and spent exactly $0 on test prep.  I checked on a 1996 LSAT prep book from my local library, downloaded the free practice materials from LSDAS, and that was it. 

Dicta

• Sr. Citizen
  • Life Is Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2004, 02:18:40 PM »
I agree. Do the practice tests until you know the thought patterns!
Susan
Until you go too far, you will never know how far you can go.
TS Eliot (poorly paraphrased by myself)

Tom

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2004, 02:55:46 PM »
I scored 177 on the June LSAT test and did not take a course.
I did a total of 12 former LSAT test starting  2 months before the actual test.
My practice scores ranged between 174-180, so they were a good predictor for me.
I have to admit that I do well on standardized test (I scored 700 on the SAT verbal when I was in 7th grade, and when I took it again my junior year in HS I scored 800.