Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: LSAT / Admissions question  (Read 1361 times)

Jason

LSAT / Admissions question
« on: July 24, 2004, 09:44:54 PM »
So I am about to enter my last year as an Undergrad and preparing for law school. I wish I would have taken school more seriously my first 2 years but... well, I didn't. Anyways, I have re-took two courses I failed my first year because I somehow thought I could miss exams, not go, etc. and still pass. I earned great grades (B+, A) in these courses so that expunges the F's from my GPA but they still sit on my transcript. Also, I have had a habit of dropping a lot of classes. This shows up as a W on my transcript for 'withdrawal'. I expect to earn a final GPA around 3.0-3.15.

With that said, how will this affect my admittance to schools?

Next part. I just took the PLSAT you can download from the LSAC site and scored a 146 on it. This is a test I did with distractions by the phone (rang like 6 times), my roommates 3 cats, and my own self getting side-tracked. I usually had to fill in 5-6 questions at the end of each section at random because I was almost out of time. But still, not having studied for one minute for this test, and scoring at about the low average of many tier-2 schools puts a small smile on my face as I know with one year of studying I should be able to boost my score by 15 points.

Anyways, I am curious for some opinions as to what my chances look like at this point from some of those who are experienced. Any advice for my prep and last year before starting applying (i know GET ALL A's will be a very common one, lol)?

Thanks.

Brent

Re: LSAT / Admissions question
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2004, 10:24:58 AM »
In my opinion, no matter what schools say, the only thing that will really determine if you get in is your LSAT and GPA.  Don't beleive the crap they feed you about looking at all those other things.  So do the best you can on your grades, and study the LSAT untill you rock.  Plan on scoring about 5 points below your average, it happens to many.  Even those who handle stress well.

Scott

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2004, 02:48:21 PM »
I agree that LSAT and GPA are the biggest factors.  Your GPA is not going to increase that much with one year left, so being just above a 3.00 is going to be trouble.  Assume your GPA will not help much.  That means you will have to kick some major ass on the LSAT.  A 146 won't cut it.  A 3.00 + 146 = no law school. 

Here is the way to look at the LSAT.  I imagine that 146 is probably around top 50% overall.  However the problem is that a lot of people who score below 150 don't bother applying.  Meaning when you apply for a law school a score of 146 will put you in the bottom 10% of everyone who applied to that school.  Work your ass off and get at least a 160 with that GPA.

d_kennedy04

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2004, 12:30:42 AM »
Do the Law Schools take the GPA that the undergrad school calculates, or do the schools calculate their own way?  Which may include calculating the F's in?

Thanks

jeffjoe

• Sr. Citizen
  • ABA? We don't need no stinking ABA.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2004, 09:58:13 AM »
Do the Law Schools take the GPA that the undergrad school calculates, or do the schools calculate their own way?  Which may include calculating the F's in?

Thanks

LSAC will take your transcripts and calculate the GPA using their standard.  That is what the law school uses.
Praying for peace in Iraq  +
Praying for the tsunami victims   +

planejane

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2004, 02:47:24 PM »
I have a question for you.

I have my associate's in paralegal studies - not regionally accredited.

I have my associate's in business - regionally accredited.

I will have my bachelor's in paralegal studies - regionally accredited and ABA approved.

Will LSAC average my "not regionally accredited associate's degree" in with my other degrees?

Just wondering if they would or not.

Thanks!

dft

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2004, 02:55:35 PM »
146 is not the low average of some tier 2 schools.  146 is the low average for the least selective schools in the entire list (bottom of the pack of tier 4).  151 is the median for all of those who take the lsat, but for those who actually get into law school the median is more like 154 or 155.

Duner

• MSN Messenger - jkorduner@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - LSUConnMan
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - jkorduner
    • View Profile
    • Duner's LSU Law Blog
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2004, 10:57:48 PM »
I wouldn't worry so much about the GPA, a crappy GPA and awesome LSAT usually equals awesome law school. as for the 146...that's a whole different story. I started with a 147, and never got it up 15 points even with a kaplan course. If you don't start consistently hitting 157+ on practice exams you're probably going to get stuck in a 3rd or 4th tier school.