Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Help! Fin. Aid department kicked me out of LS before I even started!  (Read 2034 times)

clayton

I received a phone call today from the admissions people and they said that my accpetance is being revoked because they think I committed financial aid fraud.  I find out that they found $457 in a retirement account that I did not even know about.  They said that it should have been reported.  A past employer was putting small contributions on the 401k and I do not think I ever received paperwork about it.  It was just part of the package when you got hired and I didnt work there all that long and never thought about it.  They are saying the decision is final, is there anything I can do?

eee

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Help! Fin. Aid department kicked me out of LS before I even started!
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2004, 11:08:37 PM »
go talk 2 the dean in person... pretty much your only option, id think.

clayton

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2004, 12:34:02 AM »
I live too far away, but I will call and try to talk to them.  The guy was very stern, and I tried to explain.  I almost broke down in tears after I got off phone.

eee

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2004, 12:49:36 AM »
well, just make sure that you talk to the dean... not some random dude in admissions. also, it couldnt hurt to talk to a lawyer and a CPA... just to see what your options are, what mistakes (if any) you made, and how bad the mistakes are.

michelle

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2004, 02:02:09 AM »
Def talk to the dean.. "Hiding" under $500 bucks doesn't seem like any kind of massive fraud, and if you can get the employer who was putting money in that account for you to verify that it is likely that you did not know about it, all the better.  Call, write letters, and visit.  Honestly, a visit might be your only option in the end, so saying its too far away seems kind of ridiculous to me-- its a BIG DEAL, so having to travel really is not that significant if you can get this straightened out.  Just be prepared to act apologetic, b/c if the guy is stern like you say, he will probably explain that the onus is on you to find out where all your money is and to report it (that stupid quote about ignorance not being an excuse in the eyes of the law).... i think that this is something that you could get cleared up if you are persistant. $500 is really not so much money that it would hugely impact your financial aid package, so if you write a letter (i would overnight it to the dean) and explain your situation, it might get cleared up right away..... And, no decision is ever final, so even if that is what you are being told, don't believe it until u have talked to everyone and anyone at that school.

chupacabra96

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2004, 08:39:00 AM »
Clayton --

Are they basing this off of your FAFSA?  If so, the portion under 'Investments' specifically exempts Retirement savings plans, such as a 401(k)...

(edit) Actually, the problem might be that it wasn't reported as contributions to a retirement account, which is on Worksheet B.

sgr

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2004, 01:49:18 PM »
thats so crazy. which school is this? i cant believe they would do such a thing. i'm calling my school right now to make sure they have all my right info.

jdn2262

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2004, 02:12:53 PM »
They are kicking you out over $457! This is unusual.Why didnt the fin aid office try to contact you about the discrepancy with your application? They could have at least have asked you to verify the information instead of just outright assuming that you were trying to scam them. Denying you any type of aid until you got the situation cleared up would have been enough. Instead they went out of their way to also reccommend that your admission be revoked as well. What school is this?

Woo2

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2004, 02:37:39 PM »
I smell bull.

Scott

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2004, 02:52:09 PM »
BS sounds right.  If not try again next year and get it right.  It is not like these schools keep a black list.