Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Attention anyone looking to buy a laptop  (Read 1422 times)

jchutz1

• View Profile
    • Email
Attention anyone looking to buy a laptop
« on: July 18, 2004, 11:44:44 PM »
I finally made a decision.  In case anyone is currently looking, Dell in having some awesome deals.  This is what I just ordered. 

Dell Inspiron 600m
Intel® Pentium® M Processor 715(1.5GHz)
14.1-in XGA Screen w/32MB Video 
Operating System Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition 
Memory 512MB DDR SDRAM 2 Dimms 
Hard Drive 40GB Hard Drive 
Internal 56K Modem and Integrated Network Card 
FREE 24XCD-RW/DVD Combo Upgrade (from DVD)
FREE Intel® PRO/Wireless 2100 Internal Wireless (802.11b, 11Mbps) 
Microsoft Office Basic Edition 2003
Primary Battery 53Whr Primary Battery 53WHR
Premium Service Package plus Night and Weekend (4 years) 
Color Choice Venice Blue QuickSnap Cover
Plus some other software that is standard.

The cost was $2068 but I found an online coupon for 20% off notebooks priced $1999 or above.  That came out to $413.60 on my system.  If interested the code is F0BGJCMP$5T3V5 If you are buying a notebook at $1499 or above you get 15% off:  code is HQJRR2665K9W4Q

I am also getting a free digital camera and $150 mail in rebate.  Also until tomorrow it's free 3-5 day shipping ($50 value) 

So I got all of this for $1536.89. 

Sorry such a long post but I know there has been alot of talk about laptops lately and I thought this could help.

FMC

• View Profile
Re: Attention anyone looking to buy a laptop
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2004, 11:02:40 AM »
Hey--Thanks for all that. Did you just go to dell.com??

kovyann

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2004, 12:47:48 PM »
I too just bought a laptop from Dell.  I went to http://www.edealinfo.com/Misc/dell.shtml

They basically tell you how to get the best deal from dell.  It takes you to Dell's own site and you just customize the laptop to your specifications and then use whatever coupons are available at the time.  I bought mine on Friday and used a coupon for $100 off.  Today that same exact computer came with a coupon for 10% off...so basically I paid $41 more on Friday than I would have today had I bought it.

It really depends on when you catch the deal, but edealinfo puts together the best deals...let's you know which coupons are valid for the particular deal!!!

Good luck!!!

jchutz1

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2004, 10:59:59 PM »
I searched Dell Coupons or something like that.  This is the website   http://www.shoppersresource.com/onlinecoupons/dell-coupon-codes.htm  The $150 rebate, free camera, and free shipping were on Dell's website. 

Ms Tiger

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2004, 09:45:37 PM »
Keep in mind that if you intend on taking your laptop to school to make sure that the laptop is:

(1) light enough to carry (mine is less than 5lbs)
(2) protected, so invest in a good laptop/backpack case.  I got an easpak backpack/rollerbag with a laptop sleeve at buy.com for about $40.

DC

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2004, 10:50:07 PM »
I'm also looking at the Inspiron 600.  Does anyone have any thoughts or experience with buying a refurbished system from the Dell Outlet?

slacker

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2004, 05:52:24 PM »
I have an inspiron 600m that I bought from the outlet. Just make sure it has the accessories you want.

For example, I wanted XP Pro, 40GB hd, and 802.11g wireless built in. It took a little while to find a model that had all that. Plus, I was waiting for one of their bigger sales. (The deals change all the time, gotta keep an eye out.)

I added a 3-yr warranty and the 3-yr whatever happens warranty.

So far, no problems with it. I had a more powerful, but heavier, laptop...and I'm really glad to have the smaller one.