Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: work during law school  (Read 979 times)

twysted

• View Profile
work during law school
« on: July 16, 2004, 08:53:12 PM »
I was just wondering whether or not most law school students work during law school. It seems like a lot of people go to law schools w/ loans and/or scholarships but from the work load it seems as if work is pretty much a no-no, so how do people get that spare cash? As far as I know there are no stipends like grad school...?

eee

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: work during law school
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2004, 09:31:24 PM »
spare cash? why do you need spare cash?

really, you arent (or shouldnt, if you are studying correctly) going to have enough spare time to spend or need the extra money.

twysted

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2004, 09:44:05 PM »
we-e-e-ll I was thinking of things such as toiletries and perhaps your phone bill and other incidentals...as far as I know that wouldn't be covered by whatever scholarship/fin-aid you have.

eee

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2004, 10:00:31 PM »
lol... well, i GUESS you can have a phone and toilet paper :)

twysted

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2004, 10:05:28 PM »
lol, I thought of putting in cable but that might have been too much. but yeah...do folks work during law school or what? is it like undergrad in a sense where there are campus jobs...?

eee

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2004, 10:05:47 PM »
wont all of your loans cover that stuff? if not, is there anything you can cut back on? car, cable tv, internet at home (take the train to school, no time for tv, just do all your work at school, etc...)?

i know the schools dont give us much money to play with, but id think that in most cases it can be done. if not, you can always ask your financial aid office to up your cost of attendance a bit (assuming you have good reasons). personally, im just expecting to graduate with 150k in loans. yeah, its a ton of money... but given our earning potential it should be possible to pay it back relatively fast.

eee

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2004, 10:07:47 PM »
and no, my understanding is that it isnt at all like undergrad. the best perspective ive read was that we should consider it a job... in other words, the label law "school" is really misleading... so yeah, no time for a jobbiejob.

aryeal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2004, 04:21:57 PM »
Unfortunately, I'm stuck working.   :(

But, I'm working in a law firm and I have 20 years of experience in the field (yes I am a latecomer to this law school thing).  I worked full time while I got my undergrad full time.  So, I'm used to the hell of work and school. 

Caveat:  If you've never worked in the legal field and you are going right from undergrad to law school, don't work the first year.