Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Illegal Immigration  (Read 4801 times)

ruskiegirl

• Sr. Citizen
  • Material Girl
    • View Profile
Re: Illegal Immigration
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2005, 12:19:46 AM »
Biggest probelm with the current implementation of #3 is the suspiciously low rate of language waiver approvals.  I have seen cases where people with cranial damage were not granted the waiver.  Furthermore, currently the INS does not accept post traumatic stress disorder (no matter how extreme) as a basis for the inability to learn English. 

Todd

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2005, 10:27:41 AM »
Maybe, but if people have those problems then they should apply for asylum, not immigration.

But, of course we should welcome the tired, poor, hungry and sick.

fsu816

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2005, 08:29:07 PM »
Illegal immigration is a 'slap in the face' to those who came here legally, and hurts the reputation of all immigrants. This country has too many problems to absorb more undocumented people...especially due to the new security concerns...

However, I'd come here illegally if I had to...while thinking the country was a sucker for not enforcing its laws

A few days ago I heard about the Minutemen. Very refreshing.

ruskiegirl

• Sr. Citizen
  • Material Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2005, 01:56:21 PM »
Maybe, but if people have those problems then they should apply for asylum, not immigration.

But, of course we should welcome the tired, poor, hungry and sick.

asylum is a form of immigration.  all the problems that apply to immigration also apply to asylum.

anoddduck

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2005, 07:52:13 PM »
I am for greater immigration with a few regulations.

I recently went to NY and saw the Statute of Liberty. It made me think. I believe we should allow immigration as we once did.

The following regulations make sense to me.

1. No criminal background, unless proven to be unjust by our standards.
2. No disease, nothing communicable period
3. Pass a cultural/basic language test. We should provide the class teaching our viewpoint of history and Basic English. "Thank you" would be a good place to start.
4. A loyalty pledge, stating they will follow our laws and if convicted of a felony they will leave.

If I thought about this more maybe I'd add a few regulations, but these seem like enough.

On a side note, illegal immigrants don't pay income taxes. Even if they are on a payroll they simply claim 10 dependants so few taxes are taken out and they never file a tax return. I worked in a restaurant for 5 years, 1 year with payroll, I know. Some legal immigrants do the same. I knew the illegal immigrants only because they told me they were illegal.

These rules are in effect, to some extent.

You have to pass an FBI background check in order to get a green card.

You have to have a medical exam in order to get a green card.  (Though you can have diseases if you are someone who is not subject to expulsion on those grounds; for example, the spouse of a US citizen cannot be denied entry on the grounds that he/she has AIDS, because the US citizen has the right to choose the spouse they choose, regardless of medical status)

The culture and language test is required for citizenship.  You have to have had your green card for a number of years (depending on how you originally got your green card), and then you take a civics test and an English test.  You have to pass in order to get your citizenship.

The loyalty pledge is taken upon assuming citizenship, but then they are citizens just like people born here, with the same rights, and cannot be deported.   Green card holders, on the other hand, can be deported for just about anything.  The problem is that there would be so many people to deport that often times the process isn't started...

il Principe

• The Archon of Protocol
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2005, 01:42:15 PM »
When did it become the United States' responsibility for the conditions created by the Mexican government? Is the U.S. to be held responsible for the living conditions of each and every country in the world? To be the recipient  of every individual who "thinks" he/she can make a better living in the U.S.? Without any restrictions or limitations?  ???

Very true.  We should have the National Guard on the border.  Or fund the MinuteMen. 
"The most futile and disastrous day seems well spent when it is reviewed through the blue, fragrant smoke of a Havana Cigar" - Evelyn Waugh