Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Illegal Immigration  (Read 4820 times)

Derecho_Girl

• Most wanted
    • View Profile
    • Email
Illegal Immigration
« on: July 13, 2004, 10:20:23 AM »
Just curious. Are there any hispanics opposed to illegal immigration?? I'm seeing so many people who shouldn't be here taking advantage of the system. I used to be pro immigrant, but now I'm having second thoughts. Anyone feeling like this??

michelle

Re: Illegal Immigration
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2004, 05:24:06 PM »
I'md def. pro-immigration. I am not for letting anyone and everyone immigrate to the US, but our country's immigration policies are disgusting and unfairly discriminatory.  Especially when it comes to ppl coming from the middle east. Just read some of the legislation that was recently passed... esp the patriot act.  Get rid of Bush!

As for hispanics "taking advantage of the system," how could you expect them not to.  The conditions in Mexico, for example, are horrendous, and if you have children, getting them to the US could literally save their lives.... Many hispanics are here in the US working very hard for a living, getting paid way below min wage (ie, not fully benefitng from "the system").

jeffjoe

• Sr. Citizen
  • ABA? We don't need no stinking ABA.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2004, 12:40:02 PM »
I have my ideas but I would like to hear what others think the purpose of immigration law is.
Praying for peace in Iraq  +
Praying for the tsunami victims   +

fites

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2004, 09:59:10 PM »
I say welcome them! I was just in mexico building a chaple with my youth group and if sides were reversed I would sneak here to! I mean we hold so much but yet can't take time to let honest people try to make it. They come from there trying to work and survive. While we have multiple generation welfare families bred right here in America. How can we fight them off when they have as good as or better work ethic than that which is being encouraged here. Thats my opinon. Forgive my rant!

Zeus

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2004, 11:47:40 PM »
I'md def. pro-immigration. I am not for letting anyone and everyone immigrate to the US, but our country's immigration policies are disgusting and unfairly discriminatory.  Especially when it comes to ppl coming from the middle east. Just read some of the legislation that was recently passed... esp the patriot act.  Get rid of Bush!

With todays happenings in mind, I can understand that there are some more strictness imposed upon ppl from the midle east than (for example) someone from Monterrey.

The patriot act is a great piece of art that have given many an immigration lawyer more to do. If I were an immigration lawyer I would vote for Bush in a heartbeat, but since I am going into tort, my vote goes to Edwards&Kerry for sure  ;D ;D ;D ;D

jeffjoe

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2004, 09:24:02 AM »
All of us are children of immigrants.  Isn't it hypocritical to try to shut the door now?

zippy_zaboo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2004, 08:40:56 PM »
Is the complaint "immigration" or "illegal immigration"?

Legal immigrants (my grandparents and father, for example) do some important things: pay taxes, register for the draft, and act like other citizens to support our country.

Conversely, ILLEGAL immigrants take--but don't pay.  Anong other problems.

Now, there's a common and possibly correct argument that illegals perform work that must be done, but which cannot attract citizens due to low wages--migrant farm workers are an excellent example.

Of course, there are some obvious counters to that argument.

the first is cost.  the benefits of farm workers picking grapes are unevenly distributed to farmers--or fruit-eaters, of you want to go farther down the economic chain.  Yet migrants are relatively expensive to have in the country: they send kids to public schools, use emergency rooms, and eat up at least some public funds.  It's not clear that the overall benefits exceed the costs.

the second is impetus for change.  Imagine this: no migrant workers.  Well, a few things would likely happen--the salaries and living conditions given to farm workers would change for the better to attract employees.  Eventually, the wages would get high enough that it would make sense for a jobless worker in Chicago to go grape picking (giving him/her a job is a side benefit).  As a response, the price of grapes would rise.  Some people would complain.  But chances are the country would adapt.
Conversely, the large population of workers willing to take jobs well below market keeps the market depriciated.  If you wan tto give jobless citizens work, you have to keep them from being undercut by illegals.

the third is control.  Sadly, anti-immigration activists are viewed as racists.  As a proponent of immigration limits, i'm not racist: I don't think we should let in too many uneducated people be they white or brown.  The reality is, though, that most of the immigrat population is hispanic, and most of them are uneducted.  that means that views such as mine are mistaken for racism, which they're not.  back to control: It's a good thing for the future planning of the country if the government has some control over who comes here.  Don't you think?

We should have much stricter INS enforcement and immigration laws in place, including harsh fines or penalties to deter illegals.  Doing so would allow us to increase the number of LEGAL immigrants from central and south america--and keeping them legal means we can help them, educate them, tax them, and generally make them productive members of the US instead of leeches who are just trying to make money that they will take out of the country.

jslick

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - alpinebimmer
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2005, 05:26:47 AM »

As for hispanics "taking advantage of the system," how could you expect them not to.  The conditions in Mexico, for example, are horrendous, and if you have children, getting them to the US could literally save their lives.... Many hispanics are here in the US working very hard for a living, getting paid way below min wage (ie, not fully benefitng from "the system").

Gimme a fuc|<in' break already.  You should move to Mexifornia.
If you think education's expensive, try ignorance.

ruskiegirl

• Sr. Citizen
  • Material Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2005, 06:09:12 AM »
Is the complaint "immigration" or "illegal immigration"?

Legal immigrants (my grandparents and father, for example) do some important things: pay taxes, register for the draft, and act like other citizens to support our country.

Conversely, ILLEGAL immigrants take--but don't pay.  Anong other problems.

Now, there's a common and possibly correct argument that illegals perform work that must be done, but which cannot attract citizens due to low wages--migrant farm workers are an excellent example.

Of course, there are some obvious counters to that argument.

the first is cost.  the benefits of farm workers picking grapes are unevenly distributed to farmers--or fruit-eaters, of you want to go farther down the economic chain.  Yet migrants are relatively expensive to have in the country: they send kids to public schools, use emergency rooms, and eat up at least some public funds.  It's not clear that the overall benefits exceed the costs.

the second is impetus for change.  Imagine this: no migrant workers.  Well, a few things would likely happen--the salaries and living conditions given to farm workers would change for the better to attract employees.  Eventually, the wages would get high enough that it would make sense for a jobless worker in Chicago to go grape picking (giving him/her a job is a side benefit).  As a response, the price of grapes would rise.  Some people would complain.  But chances are the country would adapt.
Conversely, the large population of workers willing to take jobs well below market keeps the market depriciated.  If you wan tto give jobless citizens work, you have to keep them from being undercut by illegals.

the third is control.  Sadly, anti-immigration activists are viewed as racists.  As a proponent of immigration limits, i'm not racist: I don't think we should let in too many uneducated people be they white or brown.  The reality is, though, that most of the immigrat population is hispanic, and most of them are uneducted.  that means that views such as mine are mistaken for racism, which they're not.  back to control: It's a good thing for the future planning of the country if the government has some control over who comes here.  Don't you think?

We should have much stricter INS enforcement and immigration laws in place, including harsh fines or penalties to deter illegals.  Doing so would allow us to increase the number of LEGAL immigrants from central and south america--and keeping them legal means we can help them, educate them, tax them, and generally make them productive members of the US instead of leeches who are just trying to make money that they will take out of the country.

You're presuming that given the chance, say through a temporary work permit, illegal immigrants would not pay taxes.  For the most part, people who come here illegally desire to seek legal immigration status and assume the civic duties of all Americans.

My mother to the US on a legal work permit.  She paid taxes and abided by the laws that governed her here.  After meeting and falling in love with my step-father, she overstayed her work visa and I my tourist visa before her post-marital documentation could be finalized.  We were here as illegal immigrants for nearly two years.  I feel no shame in what we did, as I know that during our transitional status my mother contributed to the economy by working and my step dad claimed me as a dependent on his taxes. 

The question of illegal immigration is a test of our humanity and compassion.  Will you send back those who cannot feed their families in their homeland simply because they lack the proper documentation?  Our economy depends on manual labor jobs, most of which Americans regard themselves to highly to do.  Who then, if not low-wage illegal immigrants, will sustain this much-needed base?

jeffjoe

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2005, 03:18:32 PM »
Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breath free.

Remember?