Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Good GPA, Decent LSAT  (Read 1639 times)

Texan29

• Sr. Citizen
  • Texas Tech Law Bound!!!
    • View Profile
Good GPA, Decent LSAT
« on: July 12, 2004, 10:30:16 AM »
I noticed another post on this board concerning the opposite situation I'm in. I have a 3.92 UGPA, 4.0 in major. I took my LSAT in June and performed poorly compared to my timed practice tests I took through Kaplan (averaged 158) on the actual test I recieved a 153 (ouch). I have what I would consider outstanding letters of recommendation from my undergraduate professors. I am looking at the following schools for admission:

Stretches: University of Texas

First Choices: Southern Methodist University, and Baylor University

Safeties: Texas Tech, St. Mary's, Texas Wesylan, South Texas, and Texas Southern

Yes, I am applying to all schools in TX.

I guess my question to everyone is, are my first choices realistic for the scores I have? I do not want to take the LSAT again in October unless need be. I realize my chances of getting into UT are slim to none. But I would really hope I have a fighting chance of getting into SMU and Baylor. Anyone have any advice?? Thanks in Advance!
Texas Tech Law: We don't just pass the bar, we practically live there!

Ryckman_Boy

• Click Profile to change this text.
    • View Profile
Re: Good GPA, Decent LSAT
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2004, 07:53:11 PM »
Your first choices are stretches, and your stretch is such a huge stretch that you probably souldn't waste your time applying.  You safeties seem like reasonable choices though.

baseballjones

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2004, 12:02:43 AM »
My first reaction is that you should retake the LSAT, but since your avg. is only 158 I doubt after they are averaged your improvement will be much better than 2 or 3 points (which still isn't good).  Can you try a different test prep company. I know thats expensive, but we are talking about an investment in your future.  I took a powerscore course and it was great or maybe try Princeton Review.  The different strategies maybe more helpful.

Texan29

• Sr. Citizen
  • Texas Tech Law Bound!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2004, 01:22:49 PM »
To be honest I was considering if necessary taking the LSAT again in October, basically all I want to do is solidify my admission into SMU which is by all realistic intents and purposes my first choice, if I had a crystal ball and I knew I could get into SMU with this score I would not bother to take it again. I plan to apply for early admission to these schools in hopes that it will slightly improve my chances of being accepted. I have debated whether I should take the Powerscore Weekend Prep Course before the October LSAT since I do have a background with the test and possibly could score better with new techniques. My biggest problem I suppose is that I have a hard time completing the sections. I counted on the last test and I had lost 10 points because i guessed on questions that I ran out of time on. If powerscore could find a way of speeding me up I think I could be more competitive in my LSAT scores. Anyone else have any advice on what I should do. If SMU accepts me I'll be a happy man and I would be willing to die trying to get accepted. The way I look at it is if I have a fighting chance now with SMU and I score even an average of a 155-156 after i take my next test, then wouldn't the give me an advantage? Also, I forgot to share more of my extracurricular background. I'm been a Student Gov't Senator, College Republicans President for two years, Pre-law Information Officer just at my university alone, do that really help to sway the law school into accepting me? I don't know, I'd just like to know what you all think I should do. I'm open to any / all advice. Thanks!
Texas Tech Law: We don't just pass the bar, we practically live there!

smujd2007

• Sr. Citizen
  • January 6, 2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2004, 02:26:28 PM »
I was in a similar situation.  For you, UT may not be a stretch, depending on what they feel like on the day they read your application - especially if you are a Texas resident.  My advice to you would be to keep the 153 - your high GPA may very well put you in at SMU . .  . that's what got me in - I had a 3.9, and my LSAT was lower than yours. Baylor is the one that might be a stretch, because they put great emphasis on the LSAT.  The extracurriculars may help a bit, but I'm not sure.  My best advice for SMU is to apply early - I did, and I was pleasantly surprised - both with my admissions status and financial aid offer.  Apply early!!!  And good luck.
smujd2007 is now an Attorney at Law!