Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 1L - C-M  (Read 6076 times)

angel

1L - C-M
« on: July 11, 2004, 08:16:02 PM »
Anyone going to Cleveland Marshall this fall either 1L, 2L, or 3L that can advise this 1L on what to expect/how to cope/who to make contact with, etc..?

By the way, I am a married female with children (two teenagers) so I would like to chat with anyone in my situation.

When

Re: 1L - C-M
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2004, 08:44:17 PM »
I will be attending C-M this fall as a 1L. I don't have kids, but I'm 36 and live with my long-term partner, so I'm also a nontraditional student. I probably can't offer much advice or assistance since I'm also a C-M newbie, but I'd be happy to share some of my experiences so far if you think it would be helpful. I would be very interested in hearing how others have managed the admissions process, the financial aid office, the move to Cleveland, etc.

Angel

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2004, 11:29:21 PM »
I've lived in Cleveland my whole life.  The hardest part of the admissions process, besides the LSAT, was my personal statment.  I wanted my personal statement to be excellent.  It took countless drafts and spending over a $100 for a professional proofreading, but I think it was worth the effort.

I didn't get a scholarship, but I do get tuition assistance throught my spouse.  My hope is that I will do so well my first year that I will get a scholarship next year.

Anyway, I am very excited and nervous, but I have a good support system with my husband.  I hope your partner is supportive as well.

How do you feel about going to C-M versus CWRU, or some other top 100 school? From what I've learned through both CWRU and C-M alumni, the programs are comparable.

When

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2004, 10:28:46 AM »
I'd actually never been to Cleveland before driving out from Northwest Indiana this spring to tour the school. Since then, I've been to Cleveland several times helping my partner find a job and looking for an apartment. Honestly, this process has left me with the impression that Clevelanders have at least as positive a feeling about C-M as CWRU. Through the process of looking for an apartment (which I finally found in Lakewood!), I must have talked about attending law school with 50+ people. The majority assumed I was talking about C-M, strangely enough, and only rarely did people ask me which school I'd be attending. Just about everyone I talked to knew someone who had attended C-M -- the boyfriend of the manager of my new apartment, for instance, is a C-M grad, and so is the sister of the recruiter at a hospital where my partner went for a job interview. Though I had once wondered if I would feel like I was at the inferior of the two Cleveland schools, I definitely do not feel that way any more.  I've been especially excited since touring the school, which has that awesome library, a really helpful and friendly administration, and a Starbucks right down the street.  :o

I also did not get any scholarship money, and, like you, am hoping to get something next year! If nothing else, I'll at least be able to pay in-state tuition next year. Does your husband work for the university? Is that how you're able to get tuition assistance? Have you applied for any private loans? I was approved for a loan through Access group several months ago and have been wondering why there's been no action on this since then. I emailed them, but they said the hold-up is with the schoool.

It's really great to finally make contact with someone who'll be attending C-M this fall. I am also very nervous and excited, but I do also have good support, which makes a huge difference.

Angel

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2004, 11:57:30 AM »
Hi,

Yes my husband does work for CSU.

You know, it never even occured to me that C-M was "inferior" until I joined this board and read so much talk about tiers.  Some of the people on this board who go to top 100 schools are pretty arrogant about it.  But yes, on the local scene, C-M is quite respected.  However, you will likely come across a couple of people who will imply that C-M is inferior (to CWRU), but so many of the city's respected legal professionals went to C-M, so why sweat it right?

If you get a chance, pick up a copy of The Gavel (C-M's newspaper)  There is an interesting article about their plans to make C-M a top 10 school within the next couple of years.

lashedap17

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2004, 10:12:26 PM »
Hi, I am considering Cleveland Marshall, University of Akron or Case Wester for next fall.  I graduated with my undergrad in Social Work last May and has been in that field ever since.  Would anyone be willing to give some advice about preparing for the LSAT and the admission process.  What are some of your professional backgrounds?  Social Work did not prepare me with the logical reasoning skills needed for success on the LSAT.  Any advice?

Nichole

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2005, 08:54:21 AM »
I was sort of in the same boat that you are in. I had no idea that I wanted to attend law school until a short while ago. It has since become my obsession.  ;) The best thing that I can say to do for preparing for the LSAT is to take as many practice tests as you can. They are offered on the Internet, and I purchased a Kaplan study guide that also had links to tests through their website. Actually sitting down in the allotted time and taking the test is the best preparation that I could have had.

I had to work really hard on the logical reasoning section too. I'm an accountant, and apparently logical reasonings aren't ingrained in me anywhere. The logic games and reading section were a whiz for me though, so I concentrated most of my efforts on the logical reasoning. There are also websites that let you just take practice questions and explain why each answer is correct, rather than doing an entire test to get the answers for just the logical reasoning.

I'm hoping to get accepted at Barry University (in Orlando) this fall, awaiting the letter, but I've also applied at Akron in case I want to stay near home. All three of those schools in Ohio have reputable programs, albeit that Case is more reknowned. Good luck in whichever alley that you choose!

zilla

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2005, 10:54:45 PM »
I just graduated (last week!). I was a night student. Here's my quick summary on CM: don't buy into all the hype on tiers. Especially if you want to stay in cleveland, CM is far more economical than Case, and you will get a solid legal education.  I've got a great job lined up at a large firm. (Now I just have to pass the bar...). I'm glad I went to CM, I'm glad I did it part time. Though like every school there are some profs to avoid and such, my overall experience was incredibly positive. When I clerked, I was completely on the level with the clerks from other schools (CWRU and Ivies among them).  Some people will never get beyond the inferiority complex caused by U.S. News rankings and the arrogance of some people who think if you don't go to Harvard, you aren't a good lawyer. Don't buy into it. CM produces great lawyers. If you look at the entire judiciary and business community in cleveland/cuyahoga county, you'll see how many of our grads have gone on to good things.
There is no great advice on how to balance life with law school. I worked full time at a professional job while attending school, and it was brutal at times. Always keep in mind that this is just school. Getting a C isn't the end of the world. Not everyone winds up at a big firm, yet they still have great careers and make good money.  Not all great lawyers were on law review. That being said, try to make law review. If your grades aren't top 10%, try to write on (you'll learn all about this stuff first year).  Try to make moot court. Take chances. Talk to profs.
The whole thing is a marathon, but you will make it through.

alieon07

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2005, 10:37:45 PM »
Currently, I received a disappointing score on my LSAT.  As I really wanted to go to CSU I know it won't get me in especially with my horrible GPA.  Should I take a review course possibly at Test masters & try the test again in February 2006?  I graduated in 2004 from Miami of Ohio...worked my way through school so, my GPA isn't stellar.  Any ideas?  Also, I want to get into law school & would appreciate any tips/advice etc.

CheezWiz

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2005, 12:44:44 AM »
Hey there!  Some tips:  if your GPA is above 2.4 and your LSAT is above 150 I would strongly suggest that you apply to the LCOP program.  Information on the program can be found at law.csuohio.edu.  Use being local to your advantage, make an appointment to meet with Melody Stewart (Dean of Admissions).  Also, in your P.S. discuss why you worked your way through school, there are some Aberhollister wearing rich folk at that school and it will mean something if you show that you worked among them but were not one of them.

Good luck!

P.S. My friends in the part-time program at C-M tell me it is GREAT!