Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: My admission has been cancelled. Help!  (Read 1959 times)

why??

My admission has been cancelled. Help!
« on: July 10, 2004, 09:21:24 PM »
I was admitted in early December, but because my second seat deposit arrived late, I've lost my seat.
I faxed the admissions office a copy of my lease signed on March 5 and sent a heartfelt apology, and they said they'd put me on the waitlist.
Meanwhile, I've already given my landlord and employer my two weeks' notice, so I am soon to be homeless and jobless.
Has anyone heard of anything like this?  Any advice?

lawgirl

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: My admission has been cancelled. Help!
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2004, 09:33:48 PM »
Call and speak to the Dean, NOW. Don't talk to a secretary or admissions worker. Talk to whoever matters and don't get off the phone until you get it resolved.

asugirliegirl

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2004, 11:54:43 PM »
What school is it?

Hmmmm

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2004, 10:50:42 AM »
Well I know someone that this happened to and it is pretty tragic. He tried everything...calling the dean....having alumni call..etc. I think what it comes down to is responsibilty. You miss a deadline...you miss out completely. This serves in the real world too. It sucks..but...you have to realize that the minute you missed that deadline, your school admitted a waitlist kid. Should the school now take away that kid's admission b/c someone was late with their deposit? Absolutely not. They are not going to let you in this year so can't you try and get deferred for next? I think that is what the kid I know is going to have to do.

Vikram

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2004, 11:48:17 AM »
Why???

Try, try, and try again.  Calling the DEAN, that is. 

Vikram

Don't give up
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2004, 11:51:41 AM »
Why???

Try, try, and try again.  Calling the DEAN, that is.  If possible, visit the school and camp out on his door step.  But if these things do not work, talk to your landlord and employer.  Hopefully your landlord and employer are humane enough to allow you to stay on. 

Robert

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2004, 12:45:49 PM »
this may be a bit rough to say but live with it. You had since dec to put in a deposit and you did not. Put up and shut up. welcome to the real world, you miss a deadline and you have to face to facts. Consider yourself very very lucky if they let you in after this!

why??

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2004, 05:22:30 PM »
Dear, sweet, Robert.  Thanks for the kind words of advice.

The director of admissions is on vacation until "sometime next week."  I've written the Dean, who says she needs to speak to the director of admissions.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Putting up and shutting up now,
T.

Amanda

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2004, 09:36:12 AM »
Good luck. I hope they let you in!

elo

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2004, 02:55:34 AM »
I'm not sure Robert's entirely off the mark, even if his comments seem harsh to you. Law is, in many ways, a profession of deadlines. Miss the statute of limitations and you could be hit with a malpractice suit.

Having said that, we all make mistakes, and it doesn't mean you shouldn't try to work it out. If you live at all close to the school, I would strongly suggest not waiting until the admissions director returns. Put on some nice clothes (you don't need to wear a suit) and walk in to meet the dean. You can simply remind her that you're the person she spoke with, that you really want to attend the school, and that you appreciate her offer to speak with the admissions director on your behalf. I honestly believe that a five minute, polite, professional, and in-person conversation can be the difference between the dean asking the admissions director "is there anything we can do?" and saying "try to do something."

It may or may not work. Almost for sure, your seat was offered to someone else the day after your deposit deadline. You've got to make them want to add you anyway. At least if you try the in-person approach, you'll know that you did everything you can do.

Best of luck,

elo