Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: some basics  (Read 825 times)

stillundecided

• View Profile
some basics
« on: July 10, 2004, 03:35:26 AM »
Hi I am still undecided whether i would like to continue to complete pre-requisites to get into nursing school, or to switch now to studying law..

What I would like to know is..

How many years of pre-requisites do you have to take to get into law school, and can you take it at a community college?

After pre-requisites do you apply to get accepted into law school?..and how long does law school take to complete?

After completing law school are you then a licensed lawyer?

and what is the difference between I, II and III lawyer?

asugirliegirl

Re: some basics
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2004, 02:47:34 PM »
Are you joking?

If you're not (and even if you are) I'll humor you.  Law school is 3 years. You need a bachler's degree before you can begin law school.  You can't get a bachler's degree at community college.

Perhaps you should go for nursing. Law requires research and analytic skills. It doesn't appear that you have these because if you did, you wouldn't have to ask these questions. You would have the answers.

eee

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2004, 03:01:34 PM »
well, first off i think that you are long overdue for a visit to your prelaw advisor's office... he/she will answer all of these basic questions w/in the first 5 seconds of you walking in the door. in short, do your homework!

that said.. here is a quick answer to your question:

there is no such thing as "prelaw" as a major... it only states your intention to go on to law school. as such, there are no pre-requisites to get into law school (other than the 4year degree). therefore, you could continue with your nursing school program and then go on to lawschool w/out missing a beat.

law school is 3 years of full time study or 4 years of part time study.

and of course you apply to law school... same as undergrad! this seems to work better than everyone just showing up on the doorstep of their LS of choice :)

after law school you must still pass "the bar" in order to be a licensed attorney. this exam is offered twice a year (july and february) in each state. with some exceptions (see: reciprocity) you must pass the bar in each state in which you wish to practice law. the bar tests the minimum competency that is required of an individual to practice law in that state.

when you say I, II and III lawyer, i am assuming that you are referring to the years of study of a law school student (1L, 2L and 3L). for example, a 1L is the equivalent of a freshman in undergrad.

for more info go to www.lsac.org

eee

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2004, 03:47:51 PM »
additionally, asugirliegirl's comment, though abrupt, does have some truth to it. you should actively seek out answers to these basic questions (as opposed to passively seeking out the answers wherein you throw out a question and wait for someone on this website to answer it). this active search for knowledge is once of the corner stones of a legal education. YOU have to teach yourself.

smujd2007

• Sr. Citizen
  • January 6, 2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2004, 04:35:28 PM »
I think ASU girl was totally rude.  However, you should do some more research.  Law school is a big decision.  You should not enter into it lightly.  I think that eee gave you a good snapshot of what you should be thinking about, but you need to speak to some advisors or do some research.  I never saw the prelaw adviser at my school and I made it to law school - so if this is something you really want to do, it can be done.  But you do need some initiative, and more information.  Best of luck to you.
smujd2007 is now an Attorney at Law!

asugirliegirl

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2004, 12:33:18 AM »
I think ASU girl was totally rude.  However, you should do some more research.  Law school is a big decision.  You should not enter into it lightly.  I think that eee gave you a good snapshot of what you should be thinking about, but you need to speak to some advisors or do some research.  I never saw the prelaw adviser at my school and I made it to law school - so if this is something you really want to do, it can be done.  But you do need some initiative, and more information.  Best of luck to you.

Not trying to be rude, just not sure whether or not this poster is serious.  There have been a few prank posts in the past.  Apparently my trying not to come across as naive backfired and made me appear rude.  Not my intent.

stillundecided

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2004, 05:12:37 AM »
ASU girl you dont need to be so rude..

What do you mean pranks?...someone must not have a life to have a prank like this, and as far as me seeking out informatin for myself I do do that,Ive emailed the advisor but they're on vacation and got an auto response that they will get back to me whenever they are available. Thats why I thought I would be able to find clear and correct information coming from people who have experienced what I am looking for or are experiencing it now, didnt know I was going to run into someone so arrogant as yourself.

But thanks for assuming that I have no initiative or interest, choosing a career is  HUGE deal for me right now...Every website I go to is not very clear on their information, not to mention I've been told numerous different things about all kinds of careers by other people to come to find out it isnt true.

Nursing also involves research and analytic skills, in fact it takes a whole team of CNA's, RN's, NP's, and doctors to take care of patients. But thanks for acting like nursing was easier, and I do plan on going four years to get my BSN in nursing then going further to become a NP.

God help you ASU girl when a client needs help, im sure they wont be asking questions in a scientific manner. You cant even help someone with a simple answer without being rude, how are you going to help someone in court when they need help from you>?...heh

Oh and next time your ill, go to a lawyer to help you get better...because obviously nursing fields just arent good enough.