Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: bad credit loans  (Read 2486 times)

kastet

• View Profile
    • Email
bad credit loans
« on: July 08, 2004, 09:36:34 PM »
 Hey everyone. My credit isnt that good, but I need to get loans for law school this year. I have a cosigner with awesome credit that is willing to sign for me. I did some research and I know that I need to go through a lender that allows for the borrower(me) and the cosigner to apply at the same time. [lenders like citibank,nallie mae allow that; access group doesnt]. I am still worried that I may not get the loans. Did anyone have a situation like that or similar, and if so can anyone for any reason recommend a lender that will be more lenient with such a situation.

dazy143

Re: bad credit loans
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2004, 05:51:46 PM »
I don't know how I got them... but I have godawful credit (thanks to being 18-19 with credit cards) and I got loans through Access Group with no problem. I didn't even need a co-signer. I went through the school financial aid office and they just did it for me, it was no problem. Maybe it is because they are Stafford/FFEL loans?? I know that there are some types of student loans that don't require credit checks, you just can't have any other federal loans in default. I had to go through a consolidation to get my undergrad loans in order, but after that it was no problem.

Do you have federal loans? Have you tried to apply for them yet and been turned down, or are you just nervous to even try? (...I was) If you haven't even picked a lender yet, just choose one and see what happens, you might be pleasantly surprised. I was:)

At any rate, good luck. I am sorry to see another person digging themselves out of a hole like me, it is no fun. I even have to have co-signers to get an apartment. That is a pain at 24!

jdmba2007

• View Profile
    • JD/MBA blog
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2005, 02:18:11 AM »
federal stafford loans will not require a credit check. hth

You only need a cosigner if you need more loans than the federal loan max.

osulinds

• MSN Messenger - lindseymj@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2005, 09:27:44 PM »
I had to get a co-signer too (she has good credit) and was approved for the loans. I went through Bank One on Sallie Mae.