Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: POST GRAD WORRIES  (Read 1150 times)

ladylaw

• View Profile
POST GRAD WORRIES
« on: July 08, 2004, 08:44:26 PM »
TALKING WITH A FELLOW 1L I LEARNED THAT TO EARN THE BIG BUCKS YOU HAVE TO WORK FOR A FIRM AND PUT IN AT LEAST 10 HOURS A DAY AND THAT ANY JOB THAT REQUIRES A REGULAR 40 HOUR WORKWEEK WON'T PAY MORE THAN AROUND $40,000-50,000

ALBEIT WAY PREMATURE, I'M CONCERNED ABOUT FINDING A BALANCE BETWEEN A WELL-PAYING JOB (AT LEAST $70,000) AND NOT HAVING TO WORK MORE THAN 8 TO 10 HOURS A DAY. 

I HEAR THAT JUDICIAL CLERKS/STAFF ATTORNEYS ARE GOOD CAREER STARTER JOBS THAT ARE NOT AS TIME- :-\DEMANDING AS LAW FIRMS, BUT OF COURSE DON'T PAY NEARLY AS WELL.

CAN ANYWAY TALK ABOUT HOW A PERSON CAN EARN A GOOD LIVING AND STILL BE HOME NO LATER THAN 7P?  OR IS THAT TOO UNREALISTIC IN THE EARLY STAGES OF A LAW CAREER?
Accepted: American, Catholic, GW, UT
Denied: Georgetown
3.4/160

eee

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: POST GRAD WORRIES
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2004, 11:29:11 PM »
firstly, you might want to take off the capslock :)

but what is wrong with a 50 hour week? i know of no professional field where people work less than that (except for the government). Most professionals work more (often much more) than that.

from engineering to medicine to law... the 40hr work week disappeared loooooooong ago. 50 (at the minimum) is pretty typical now no matter what the job. if you are looking for a 40 hr week then you should either work for the government or work on assembly line.

vw515

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2004, 01:31:23 AM »
Take this from someone who worked as a paralegal the past 3 years at the DA's and private. You will not maake the big bucks or good bucks and work 9-5. you will have more stress working for less money. The lastt post was on point with 50 being the norm for hours especially if you work in NY. I think about this all the time because I want a family but working less is not part of the greater picture if you want to make a name for yourself. I could be wrong but this is what my lawyer friends have told me better to saacrifice in the begining then to struggle when you are older.

asugirliegirl

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2004, 01:54:35 AM »
Take this from someone who worked as a paralegal the past 3 years at the DA's and private. You will not maake the big bucks or good bucks and work 9-5. you will have more stress working for less money. The lastt post was on point with 50 being the norm for hours especially if you work in NY. I think about this all the time because I want a family but working less is not part of the greater picture if you want to make a name for yourself. I could be wrong but this is what my lawyer friends have told me better to saacrifice in the begining then to struggle when you are older.

For my own curiousity, what is more important to you... your kids or making a name for yourself? If it's the later maybe you better skip on the kids.

Ryckman_Boy

• Click Profile to change this text.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2004, 07:36:41 AM »
Many lawyers who make the little bucks also work long hours.  If you work for the feds, you can get your 40 hour work week, and eventually make decent money (although nothing like you could make with a large private firm).

TALKING WITH A FELLOW 1L I LEARNED THAT TO EARN THE BIG BUCKS YOU HAVE TO WORK FOR A FIRM AND PUT IN AT LEAST 10 HOURS A DAY AND THAT ANY JOB THAT REQUIRES A REGULAR 40 HOUR WORKWEEK WON'T PAY MORE THAN AROUND $40,000-50,000

ALBEIT WAY PREMATURE, I'M CONCERNED ABOUT FINDING A BALANCE BETWEEN A WELL-PAYING JOB (AT LEAST $70,000) AND NOT HAVING TO WORK MORE THAN 8 TO 10 HOURS A DAY. 

I HEAR THAT JUDICIAL CLERKS/STAFF ATTORNEYS ARE GOOD CAREER STARTER JOBS THAT ARE NOT AS TIME- :-\DEMANDING AS LAW FIRMS, BUT OF COURSE DON'T PAY NEARLY AS WELL.

CAN ANYWAY TALK ABOUT HOW A PERSON CAN EARN A GOOD LIVING AND STILL BE HOME NO LATER THAN 7P?  OR IS THAT TOO UNREALISTIC IN THE EARLY STAGES OF A LAW CAREER?

farnsworth

• Sr. Citizen
  • "Good news everyone!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2004, 09:04:05 AM »
Depends on the market for firms-  smaller markets have lower billable hours requirements, and pay less than big markets but still offer more than adequate compensation.  With that said, you're not working at any firm and only working 40 hrs a week.  Clerkships are a 2 year job max and normally 1 year (unless you somehow get a SCOTUS clerkship after the first one...) so it's not exactly a career choice and it pays little ($40ish i think?).  It is the best possible work for those couple of years after law school though.  As for other jobs, I'm not as knowledgable, but id imagine public sector works somewhat (but not a lot) less hours than a small market firm, but the pay is also lower.  It all really depends on how many loans you have to pay back  :)

Oh, and stop yelling in the posts...the Caps Lock light is not your friend

ladylaw

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2004, 09:41:56 AM »
Thanks everyone for the input.  Actually my kids will be 16 and 18 by the time I finish LS, so I'm good.

You people on this board are funny.  It's cool to communicate with others who are just as argumentative and analytical as I am.  I don't find that in my own circle of friends much.

(BY THE WAY, USING THE CAPS LOCK KEY IS NOT MEANT TO YELL OR OFFEND.  I JUST CHOSE TO DO THAT SOMETIMES.  IF IT BOTHERS ANYONE...OH WELL, I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO TELL YOU).

Accepted: American, Catholic, GW, UT
Denied: Georgetown
3.4/160

vw515

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2004, 01:58:08 AM »

For my own curiousity, what is more important to you... your kids or making a name for yourself? If it's the later maybe you better skip on the kids.

Honestly I would rather be able to have the finances and the name to fall back on. I live in NYC and realisticly I want my kids to be provided for so I am not willing to start a family with debt that could have been a downpayment on a larger apartment or a house in westchester for my kids. I am thinking about my children they deserve to go to good schools just like I did. (elementary and Highschool)Just from what I have seen ADA's go through I am not willing to take a job where I cant even make a dent in my loans my first three years working there. How would you explain your 100k debt you husbands (significant other law student as well) 100k debt and then trying to save for a house get a family car and starting your childs savings account for college that would probally leave my kids eating peanut butter and jelly until they are at least 15 on atight budget if my husband does not make 300k a year. Catholic school and private schools are not cheap in NYC. That is a reality for big city law students competition is high and if your name is not known  by 35 good luck going back for a job at 40 in big law no offense I could be wrong but alot of my lawyer friends have told me I will need to sacrifice and it appears to be true. No hard feelings just had to show you my side on this