Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Tough Decision  (Read 585 times)

mikebravo

• View Profile
Tough Decision
« on: July 07, 2004, 10:56:55 AM »
I have just finished my first year at a 4th-Tier school, and did well. I have been accepted to law review, but I am considering transferring to a lower 1st-Tier school.  They are more than willing to accept me now, even though they waitlisted me last year. My problem is that if I leave my current school, I lose law review and my rank.  If I go to the "better" school I have only a chance to make law review after my second year.  What is more important: the school rep., or law review?  Any help would be great.
Thanks

canuck

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Tough Decision
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2004, 11:48:17 AM »
hey mikebravo,

i've seen similar questions like yours on www.nylawyer.com.  do you mind posting your question there under the "Advice for the Lawlorn" section?  i would be really interested in seeing the answer to this.

and as for you losing your class rank - is that what happens when you transfer to another school?  what happens to your rank after you completed your second year at the new school?

best of luck in any decision you make.
Headed to Hofstra in August!

mikebravo

• View Profile
Re: Tough Decision
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2004, 12:00:12 PM »
My understanding from speaking with other transfer students is that you do lose your class rank when you transfer.  I think this is because you cannot be "fit" into the current class (due to different grading norms, etc.) As far as after your second year, I believe most law schools place you in a percentile range (not really a rank). This helps employers when selecting you for interviews.  At least this is my understanding...