Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Hottest area of Law  (Read 2767 times)

Derecho_Girl

• Most wanted
    • View Profile
    • Email
Hottest area of Law
« on: July 07, 2004, 10:33:45 AM »
I'm just curious. Does anyone know what concentration of law is hot right now? What specialization will find u work after law school?

lawgirl

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Hottest area of Law
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2004, 10:42:47 AM »
Right now, Intellectual Property. Basically, just look to see what is important or hot in society right now and see which area of law covers the conflicts that come up.

Ryckman_Boy

• Click Profile to change this text.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2004, 02:24:45 PM »
drunk driving and divorce aren't going anywhere.

farnsworth

• Sr. Citizen
  • "Good news everyone!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2004, 10:10:39 AM »
Ambulance Chasing.  Especially when it involves arson.

G

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2004, 11:30:10 AM »
Intellectual Property, International and Elder Law; however, Elder Law will grow fastest due to Baby Boomers.

dft

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2004, 12:26:31 AM »
Like the above posters stated, Intellectual Property (particularly patents, which requires a science background).  IP has been hot for the past few years, it doesn't seem to be cooling off any time soon.  Up there with IP is litigation - supposedly "there's always a need for litigators".

Zeus

• View Profile
    • Email
Don't forget tort.
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2004, 11:38:59 PM »
 Tort is the best. No other field where you can ripe millions in one case. Sure you will lose most cases, but just netting one or two will make your day (AND LIFE)..

Agree with the one mentioning ambulance chasing, as hospitals will always screw up. Also, divorce is a sweet field to be in, since there usually is great resentment around and the clients can be very vindictive  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

I also think most law students underestimate the huge amount of money you can obtain from being a tax-lawyer working for corporates helping them to shuttle their assets out of the claws of the IRS.

I don't know much about IP, but a friend of mine is doing internship in that right now and he keeps telling me it is great as long as you can handle going in depth in particular issues, like the recent record company suits. here, in most cases, just filing a suit towards a teenage girl that downladed one track and threatening with a 100K claim is enough to make the parents settle for a few K.

Also, I see ample opportunities working for drug companies and the ones doing genetical research,but the problems with IP is that most of the patent theft happens outside US boundaries where the ability to file claims are limited. Still, I can see a promising future here as the world gets more international  ;D

I am personally strongly leaning towards tort with emphasis on personal injury or medical malpractice. I don't want to work for 20 years in order to accumulate a fruitful retirement treasury  ;D ;D   

Jupiter

jeffjoe

• Sr. Citizen
  • ABA? We don't need no stinking ABA.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2004, 01:19:06 PM »
arson
Praying for peace in Iraq  +
Praying for the tsunami victims   +

Cleo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2008, 06:32:36 PM »
funny and witty as always jeffjoe! :)

StevePirates

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • JollyLawger
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2008, 08:42:49 PM »
Not to quibble with the "Arson" posters, but I think that Nuclear Regulatory Law has the potential to be the hottest area of law hands down.

Especially when things go wrong.