Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Tape Recorder In Class  (Read 1065 times)

GeoffOU

Tape Recorder In Class
« on: July 06, 2004, 05:08:07 PM »
Quick question.  Im planning on going to law school in another year and I have a questions about using a small tape recorded in lectures.  Does anyone do this?  It seems like it would be a good way to make sure you don't miss any important comments during the lecture so you can go back and review your notes and outlines with it.  I havent seen anyone make any comments on this so I wasnt sure if they dont like you to use them.  Thanks.

Geoff

elo

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Tape Recorder In Class
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2004, 07:39:55 PM »
This is entirely up to the individual professor and you *must* get his or her permission before doing this. Personally, I think it's a bad idea except when you must miss class. For one thing, you simply don't have time to listen to a lecture a second time. All of your free time is spent just doing your reading for the next day. Also, you might not be listening quite as intently if you know that the recorder is catching what you miss.

The above, of course, is only my opinion and your results might be different. Just don't forget to get permission first.

elo

Duner

• MSN Messenger - jkorduner@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - LSUConnMan
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - jkorduner
    • View Profile
    • Duner's LSU Law Blog
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2004, 03:53:40 AM »
personally, i'm getting a digital recorder. i'm going to record all my classes and just download the lectures to my computer. come finals time if i feel like there's a hole in my notes i'm going to go back and listen to the recordings.

farnsworth

• Sr. Citizen
  • "Good news everyone!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2004, 10:19:05 AM »
why would you want to listen to a boring law professor twice?  Just take good notes in class and be done with it.  There's enough to do outside class with case briefing/outlining/etc., so I really don't see this strategy working well.

lawgirl

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2004, 10:48:31 AM »
I don't record the classes, but I see nothing wrong with it. I listen to the prof and type my notes in class, structuring it into an outline form as I take notes. I feel like that allows me to understand the material because I am listening to it, but it also allows me to work with it because I have to structure it into an outline at the same time. I do my major class outlne later.

Recording is fine, but I would never just record and sit there and listen. To me, it would just create more work because you have to put it into an outline later anyway. The upside of recording is that you have a copy if you have a hole in your notes or if you didn't really understand the concept fully the first time. Hearing that same concept later, in context and with the verbal inflections or examples that the professor used can help a lot if you are struggling to understand a concept. My advice would be to start out tape recording it and taking notes in class at the same time. You can figure out later if you still need to tape it. Just make sure you get the professor's permission. Most professors don't mind.

jchutz1

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2004, 11:33:09 AM »
LSU doesn't allow tape recorders so find out from your individual school or teacher.