Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Laptop requirements  (Read 4926 times)

kovyann

• View Profile
Laptop requirements
« on: July 06, 2004, 12:49:03 PM »
So I just read the packet of info that came in the mail and in the part about laptops, I read that the school recommends a floppy drive.  I was surprised because I was planning on using a cdrom drive, just because its hard to use floppy drives in laptops.  So I called the school to ask what we need a floppy drive for and the response was if you need to print something off the computers in the computer labs, then you need a floppy.  The person I spoke to on the phone was actually a 1L (she just finished her first year) and she said she didnt have a floppy drive and didn't actually need one. 

I don't know if this information is useful to anyone, but I'm actually shopping around for a laptop and I needed to know if I need a floppy drive or not :)

FMC

• View Profile
Re: Laptop requirements
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2004, 01:27:37 PM »
So I just read the packet of info that came in the mail and in the part about laptops, I read that the school recommends a floppy drive.  I was surprised because I was planning on using a cdrom drive, just because its hard to use floppy drives in laptops.  So I called the school to ask what we need a floppy drive for and the response was if you need to print something off the computers in the computer labs, then you need a floppy.  The person I spoke to on the phone was actually a 1L (she just finished her first year) and she said she didnt have a floppy drive and didn't actually need one. 

I don't know if this information is useful to anyone, but I'm actually shopping around for a laptop and I needed to know if I need a floppy drive or not :)
Thanks for that info Kovy! You are on it again! I thought that was a little strange when I read it about the floppy drives. It makes sense now. I will definitely not get one with a floppy now. I'm sure eventually the computer center will upgrade as well.

FMC

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2004, 11:14:15 AM »
Has anyone bought their laptop yet? If so, what did you get? I'm still shopping around. Would really prefer an iBook or PowerBook but I am not sure how much trouble this woudl cause. I am just a big believer in Apple. Any info on this would be helpful.

kovyann

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2004, 12:51:23 PM »
I was going to get an IBM originally...but even with my discount they are too expensive.  I only need the laptop for school, meaning I only need to be able to use the internet and word processing.  So i opted for a Dell because they are the cheapest (even if not the best quality).  I didnt choose Apple for two reasons:  1) I'm much more comfortable with IBM compatible computers and 2) I was worried that the school might use programs and give exams for IBM compatible comps only.

In any case if you end up with a Dell i suggest the following:

I went to http://www.edealinfo.com/Misc/dell.shtml

They basically tell you how to get the best deal from dell.  It takes you to Dell's own site and you just customize the laptop to your specifications and then use whatever coupons are available at the time.  I bought mine on Friday and used a coupon for $100 off.  Today that same exact computer came with a coupon for 10% off...so basically I paid $41 more on Friday than I would have today had I bought it.

It really depends on when you catch the deal, but edealinfo puts together the best deals...let's you know which coupons are valid for the particular deal!!!

Good luck!!!

flecktone

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2004, 04:12:55 PM »
Thanks, Kovyann, for the good info.  It's so frustrating dealing with fluctuations in pricing - that's one thing I hate about Dell, but after a lot of research, I'm probably going with a 600m.

kovyann

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2004, 04:35:52 PM »
I went with the 600m as well.  I will be receiving it in a week or two, as soon as I do, I'll let you know what I think :)

Good luck finding the best price, like I said it fluctuates to much, you never know if you are getting the best deal!  I purchased mine for $1234.95 but that only has 256k memory because my dad has another memory card that he will add for me and it includes the price of a laptop carrying backpack!

I feel like I got a great deal even though had I purchased it today it would be $41 less...I think I'm going to have to get over the extra 41 bucks I paid...LOL

If you have any questions about it though, don't hesitate to ask me...I literally have spent since May researching laptops and especially prices!!