Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: superwoman survival  (Read 1592 times)

Ladylaw

superwoman survival
« on: July 02, 2004, 11:13:20 AM »
I start law school this fall (Cleveland-Marshall)  I have a husband, two teenagers and a full time job.  Anyone with survival tips?

flicker

Re: superwoman survival
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2004, 04:47:32 AM »
Hire a prostitute, nanny and a slave.

ladylaw

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2004, 10:38:01 AM »
Very funny, flicker.  But oddly enough, a great idea
Accepted: American, Catholic, GW, UT
Denied: Georgetown
3.4/160

aryeal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2004, 04:25:24 PM »
Be incredibly sweet to your husband.  You will need him.  My long-time b/f is taking up the housework slack and I adore him right now.

Scott

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2004, 02:35:35 PM »
Quit your job.  If you think you can balance a family, work and law school, yoiu are crazy.  Don't forget about your loved ones.  I am married and I made it a point to be home everday by 7pm.  That way my wife and I could have dinner together. 

ladylaw

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2004, 10:14:30 PM »
I appreciate everyone's responses. 

I know that the road I have chosen is a long and difficult path, but others have successfully crossed it, facing similar challenges as me.

I have a strong foundation and a solid support system so,  God willing, things will work out.

All the feedback, negative and positive, has helped me prepare.

Wish me well!!
Accepted: American, Catholic, GW, UT
Denied: Georgetown
3.4/160

Sassy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2004, 01:55:47 PM »
You can do it as long as your family is behind you - and it sounds like they are.  The best thing to do is keep up the communication with them so they understand what's going on.  Sure, right now you tell them that law school is going to be time consuming but they won't really understand it until they see you studying into the wee hours every night.  Keep them involved in what's going on.

I am also a night student with a fulltime job so I can't be home by 7 everynight (class goes until 9 or so).  However, my husband would wait up for me (he's an early riser so it wasn't easy for him) and we'd chat while I ate dinner.  We've have about an hour together before he'd be off to bed.  I'd then capitalize on his sleep time to get studying in - it's a perfect time because you're not taking time away from the family if they're sleeping.  I also made sure that one night a week we had a "date" - sometimes it had to be short (especially near finals) but it was time we set aside for each other.  You could do the same with your family.  My husband is extremely supportive because he sees me going to law school as something that will benefit our family as a whole.  Thus, it's my job to do well in school and work and his job to work and keep the house going.  I also make time for the Lord - I don't always make it to church like I did before law school, but I make sure I have time devoted to Him daily.  I find it keeps me centered.  I'm starting my fourth year so we're almost done.

Point is that you can do it.  It won't be easy but you can do it.