Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Anyone else xfering to NYLS?  (Read 8389 times)

ReasonablePerson

• No, really I am reasonable.
    • View Profile
Anyone else xfering to NYLS?
« on: July 01, 2004, 06:08:35 PM »
Anyone else xfering to NYLS?

I'll most likely be there in the Fall (still waiting to hear from one other school).

flecktone

• View Profile
Re: Anyone else xfering to NYLS?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2004, 06:36:34 PM »
Mind if I ask what school you're transferring from? 

ReasonablePerson

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2004, 07:21:38 PM »
Xfering from Florida Coastal.

Lina

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2004, 01:33:22 AM »
Do you mind me asking you what was your GPA. I want to transfer to NYLS but i want to know what GPA they need and is it hard?

ReasonablePerson

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2004, 10:48:47 AM »
I had a 3.01. 

Most schools evaluate transfer students based on class rank.  I assume NYLS does the same but they also provide a cut off at 3.0 (according to the web site xfers "should" have a 3.0).  Before you apply, you should call them to check on the fall deadline (I think it was June 1).

Nothing about transferring is easy.  Spots are usually reserved for students in the top 20% of their class.  The process is difficult.  Nothing is clear (what, when).  Many schools sabotoge plans by not providing class rank or waiting until July to send out transcripts, dean's letter, etc....  The LSDAS is slow.  Applications and essays are tough.  Schools want solid reasons why you wish to transfer (not move up in rank).  Professors might refuse to give LORs.  LORs might be late.  The list goes on.  But don't let me discourage you.  If you really want out, it can be done.  Even missed deadlines can be extended.  All it takes is a little creativity and a lot of ambition.

Best of luck to you.

ReasonablePerson

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2004, 10:51:25 AM »
PS. Let me know if you have other questions.  I'm happy to help if I can.

m-1

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2004, 12:16:37 PM »
I have a question if you donít mind me asking

What did you think of FCSL ?

Iíve been accepted there as a Transfer student and seriously considering it. From what I hear, it sounds like the schools going in the right direction, but I donít know if thatís hype or reality.

I realize that every school is going to have good and bad points, but overall, would you recommend the school to other students who are trying to transfer out of their current school?

ReasonablePerson

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2004, 02:37:14 PM »
I like FCSL a lot.  However, since I plan to work up north, I would like to study there.  I also love NYC.  Jax is nice but it gets old quick.  FCSL facilities are crappy but the professors are good (in some cases really good).  The school is supposedly moving into a shinny new spot but exact date is not clear.  I've never had problems with the admin but I've never had to deal with them either.  The registrar can be grumpy but they get things done (thank you registrar!).  I know several graduates who have gotten good jobs in FL.  Most students are friendly but it can be like high school (I hear most law schools are like this).  Otherwise its law school.

I'm not sure why you would leave your school though for FCSL?  Unless you have ties to the area or you really dislike where you are, a tier 4 is tier 4 -- right?  Why do you want to transfer?

tulanelawman

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2005, 08:30:13 PM »
I just got my acceptance letter today. I'm debating whether the extra $25k a year is a worthwhile investment. Tulane doubled my scholarship to $12k/year and then living in NY is going to cost me an extra $10k (at least according to their estimates)

I made law review at Tulane. Do I want to give that up? Any advice from someone who did it? How do I find out what the writing competitions are like at NYU for LR and secondary journals? Anyone?

I found the application process to be a breeze. One of my professors convinced me to try at the last minute and so with a week to go I banged out Yale, NYU and Boalt. A few days later I had sent out Columbia and Stanford as well. Of course, I did make a typo in my Boalt application because of the rush and so I will assume that is what damned my application there.

LOR were no problem. Hell, one of my professors has practically been pushing me out the door. She wrote 6 letters for me in like a week. All with specific mentions of why I want to attend, personal anecodotes of why I'd be a good student, etc. The other letter that I got (I read the Harvard letters that I didn't send) was much shorter and blander, but... NYU said yes, even if Y, C and B said no. Still waiting on S.

Academic services was also very quick. Two day turnaround.

abclaw

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2005, 12:19:18 PM »
is this guy annoying or what?