Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: anyone ever transferred out of cooley?  (Read 7387 times)

anothercooleystudent

Re: anyone ever transferred out of cooley?
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2004, 11:09:08 PM »
But it is fine if u just finish up the remaining in the summer? I was planning on take 9 credits in the summer to get to 30. Thanks for the reply

It all depends on where you are going.  Some school want 30 done not 24 and 9 contingent on passing.  Look into the school you are planning to transfer to and plan accordingly.

noell

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2004, 11:02:30 AM »
Same here...

I will most likely be attending Cooley in Fall 2005 with the intention of tansferring after my first year.  Would anyone be willing to discuss their experience at Cooley and the transfer process with me?  Thanks.

cmmco

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2005, 03:20:27 PM »
My friend and I both transferred out of Cooley and were both accepted in 1st tier law schools. We both transferred at the end of 2004 and have completed a year at our new law schools. It was relatively easy to transfer, I had a 3.1 GPA at Cooley and was ranked in the top 20% or something and transferred to a lower 1st tier school. My friend had a 3.80 GPA and a top 5 class rank and transferred to a top 25 school. We both agree it was the best choice we have made because so many more doors have been opened for good jobs. I have achieved a and GPA at my new school. Don't get me wrong, I had a lot of fun with everyone at Cooley and made some good friends, partied alot, etc. but in the long run it is well worth transferring if you can do it.

lawstudent76

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2005, 07:00:40 PM »
I transferred from Cooley at the end of 2004.  I went two semesters taking 15 credits each semester. I transferred to a 2nd tier school and they accepted all my credit hours.  I had a 3.1 G.P.A and was in the top 20% of my class.  So it is easily done. Two of my friends transferred from Cooley. They transferred to the same law school after going three semesters.  The law school only accepted 30 credit hours. 
One thing some law schools told us is that because I had not taken Research and Writing in my first year that I could not transfer--Cooley does not offer Research and Writing until the 3rd Semester (practically 2nd year if taking 15 credit hrs.  So if you are going full time and in the first year, try to see if you can get into research and writing.  I know some students who were able to take r & w in the 1st year.  Cooley is a great school, just wanted to move back to the West.
Same here...

I will most likely be attending Cooley in Fall 2005 with the intention of tansferring after my first year.  Would anyone be willing to discuss their experience at Cooley and the transfer process with me?  Thanks.

crissy00

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2005, 09:34:59 PM »
Did anyone start in January and transfer out? If so was that hard to do?

jdohno

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2005, 09:37:52 PM »
Well let me give a late congratulations to you and LawStudent76.

My friend and I both transferred out of Cooley and were both accepted in 1st tier law schools. We both transferred at the end of 2004 and have completed a year at our new law schools. It was relatively easy to transfer, I had a 3.1 GPA at Cooley and was ranked in the top 20% or something and transferred to a lower 1st tier school. My friend had a 3.80 GPA and a top 5 class rank and transferred to a top 25 school. We both agree it was the best choice we have made because so many more doors have been opened for good jobs. I have achieved a and GPA at my new school. Don't get me wrong, I had a lot of fun with everyone at Cooley and made some good friends, partied alot, etc. but in the long run it is well worth transferring if you can do it.

crissy00

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2005, 04:55:10 PM »
Did anyone start in January and transfer out? If so was that hard to do? Plus I forgot to ask does anyone know about Cooley's Qualifying Program?

cmmco

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2005, 06:03:48 PM »
I transferred out of Cooley in after I finished my spring semester and started in the fall at my new school, but I know people that did transfer out of Cooley in that started at Cooley in January. The problem is there are very few law schools that accept transfers that start in January. You need to contact the specific schools you are interested in transferring to and see what their policy is on a transfer starting in January and if they accept transfer applications for transfers that start in January. You will have a wider range of opportunities if you want to transfer to begin at a new school in the fall, but it has been done. Best of luck.  Email me if you or anybody has any futher questions about school/transfer process/etc.

sirriff

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2005, 01:01:36 AM »
just because i have seen so many of these posts i will reply

i started cooley in jan/05, 7 months ago
i had a 159 lsat and got a 75% tuition deferrment, so i am paying 6K a year instaed of 24K, which is why i though it was so great (i am not from around here so i didnt know about most of the cooley bashing)

anyways, i took 5 credits and did well, A in Con law, A- in torts and crim law, B in property, and B- in contracts. overall 3.3 gpa. not bad.
i dont know about other schools, but i had 5 exams in 6 days and it sucked, my last two exams were property and contracts and they were my lowest marks so go figure.

80% of the profs are good, but 25% of the class shouldnt be in law school. there are definatly slackers who get weeded out through the year. if i remember correctly, 15% of students wash out, and another 15% transfer the first year. thus top and bottom students leave so it all works out.

i am pretty smart, not genius, but definately as good as any sucessful lawyer out there in practice. i had no intention of being a lawyer when i took the lsat, and only studied a book for a few weeks before i took it. in retrospect i could probobly gotten low 160s if i was more serious 3 years ago and took prep courses and all that *&^%. but my plan was to go into academic research, and law did not appeal to me then. but i ended up not getting into my masters program, so i opted for something different.

i really think i am top 5 in my class of 100. now i am smart, and i worked really, really hard, but something tells me there too many people who are not naturally smart, and just making it by through plowing through and using every study aid known to man. i dont use any study aid at all. but i want to be in a place where everyone has a little bit of natural smarts and you are inspired by the people around you.

so i transferred to michigan state and am starting in sept 05
thier intellectual property program is very well regarded according to those stupid rankings i hate, and i think i read that an IP lawyer in Michigan on average makes 90K, that pretty good money for michign and you can live a good life.

so yes, you can transfer out. i could have applied to better ranked schools then MSU for thier JD rankings, but my plan is to do an IP LLM, so that is what i am aiming for. plus i like MSU. plus i dont put too much stock in all this ranking *&^%.the quality of life indicator for most people between teh ages of 25-75 has to do with much much more then the ego ranking of your school. there are alot of people living crappy lives out there who are drs and laywers and such.

anyways, if any future cooley students have any specific questions about how to do well or transfer or *&^%, post em and i will try to reply

sirriff

jdohno

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2005, 07:28:55 PM »
Congratulations on your transfer to MSU. That's great.

just because i have seen so many of these posts i will reply

i started cooley in jan/05, 7 months ago
i had a 159 lsat and got a 75% tuition deferrment, so i am paying 6K a year instaed of 24K, which is why i though it was so great (i am not from around here so i didnt know about most of the cooley bashing)

anyways, i took 5 credits and did well, A in Con law, A- in torts and crim law, B in property, and B- in contracts. overall 3.3 gpa. not bad.
i dont know about other schools, but i had 5 exams in 6 days and it sucked, my last two exams were property and contracts and they were my lowest marks so go figure.

80% of the profs are good, but 25% of the class shouldnt be in law school. there are definatly slackers who get weeded out through the year. if i remember correctly, 15% of students wash out, and another 15% transfer the first year. thus top and bottom students leave so it all works out.

i am pretty smart, not genius, but definately as good as any sucessful lawyer out there in practice. i had no intention of being a lawyer when i took the lsat, and only studied a book for a few weeks before i took it. in retrospect i could probobly gotten low 160s if i was more serious 3 years ago and took prep courses and all that *&^%. but my plan was to go into academic research, and law did not appeal to me then. but i ended up not getting into my masters program, so i opted for something different.

i really think i am top 5 in my class of 100. now i am smart, and i worked really, really hard, but something tells me there too many people who are not naturally smart, and just making it by through plowing through and using every study aid known to man. i dont use any study aid at all. but i want to be in a place where everyone has a little bit of natural smarts and you are inspired by the people around you.

so i transferred to michigan state and am starting in sept 05
thier intellectual property program is very well regarded according to those stupid rankings i hate, and i think i read that an IP lawyer in Michigan on average makes 90K, that pretty good money for michign and you can live a good life.

so yes, you can transfer out. i could have applied to better ranked schools then MSU for thier JD rankings, but my plan is to do an IP LLM, so that is what i am aiming for. plus i like MSU. plus i dont put too much stock in all this ranking *&^%.the quality of life indicator for most people between teh ages of 25-75 has to do with much much more then the ego ranking of your school. there are alot of people living crappy lives out there who are drs and laywers and such.

anyways, if any future cooley students have any specific questions about how to do well or transfer or *&^%, post em and i will try to reply

sirriff