Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Opinions about NYLS  (Read 12367 times)

lek

• View Profile
Re: Opinions about NYLS
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2008, 05:20:28 PM »
I will try and touch on several of the opinions cited in this post. In the spirit of disclosure I am a graduate of New York Law School who currently works as an attorney in New York City. I have been employed at a law firm for the past three years and have tried to respond in respect to my own experiences and that of my classmates, now collegues, who attended New York Law School.

If New York Law School really wanted to improve itís rankings the easiest way to achive this goal  would be to greatly increase admission standards and drastically shrink the size of entering classes. Alternatively, the school has consistently in the past five years lowered admission standards, increased tuition and greatly increased the size of the entering class. This despite the glut of attorneys, most from far higher ranked schools, currently seeking employment in New York City. The truth is the law schoolís goal, and every law schoolís goal for that matter is to make as much money as possible.

As far as the posters remarks about the comprehensive curriculum program I suggest readers look into my prior post regarding both the positives and negatives of this program on this forum located on the post entitled harsh curve. What I will point out is that while students in the program are given very good bar preparation they are more or less relegated after one semester of law school to the worst paying lowest ranking insurance defense or no fault jobs in the legal industry. Students graduating from New York Law School in the middle to upper end of the class are in themselves at a great disadvantage finding even reasonable paying legal jobs in New York. Students placed in the program and forced to take the hardest courses in the school and not specialize in a specific area of law, are guaranteed lower grades throughout law school and very poor job placement.

I will touch on the two other topics namely atmosphere and practical courses as I think I have covered job prospects and tier. In general there is no campus atmosphere at New York Law. Students are often very friendly first semester and quickly learn to hate one another by third semester. This is brought on by a realization of the incredibly competitive New York Legal market and the fact that all students are already at a disadvantage in going to a lower prestige school in New York City. In general by the end of second year students see each other as direct competition for future jobs.

As far as practical courses most law schools do not teach their students anything resembling what they will actually be doing as lawyers. Sadly this is the case for New York Law which as a lower tier school should take notes from CUNY and teach students practical skills such as how to write discovery motions and participate in compliance conferences or fill out Court orders for resolving discovery motions. Even a trip to a Court (New York County Civil and Supreme Courts are literally two blocks away) would be useful.  Most student do not even see the inside of a Court room while in Law School let alone know what business gets transacted in Court daily. This is the case despite the fact that 70% of graduates if not more will be working in low end insurance defense litigation positions or No fault/landlord tenant jobs in which these skills are essential. As a result most students coming out of NY law will be employed by firms for one year in a kind of learning position. They will be expected to bill hours and know everything about motions and court but will be paid as a novice or intern at about 40-50K a year.

To sum up I am not stating that this is the experience of all graduates however, a great majority will deal with similar issues and have had similar experiences at New York Law. 

Ashlee

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2008, 12:51:10 PM »
At NYLS you will be faced with EXCELLENT career prospects.  Case in point, the latest job posting on the NYLS career site:

Description:  DRIVER-MESSENGER
DIVISION OF COURT OPERATIONS
$29,426 + $1,302 LOCATION PAY
NON COMPETITIVE

QUALIFICATIONS:

SUCCESSFUL COMPLETION OF THE EIGHTH GRADE OR THE EQUIVALENT; AND POSSESSION OF A
VALID DRIVERS LICENSE IN NEW YORK STATE TO OPERATE THE TYPE OF MOTOR VEHICLE IN USE;
OR AN EQUIVALENT COMBINATION OF EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE.
DISTINGUISHING FEATURES OF WORK:

Driver-Messengers are responsible for operating motor vehicles and delivering court and other documents, and materials to courts, government agencies, and other buildings. They also transport court employees on official business and perform various routine clerical and other related duties.

ASSIGNMENT:

In addition to the work features mentioned above, Drivers-Messengers will be required to assist the office in
normal day to day activities including, but not limited to, data entry and moving/shelving records storage boxes.
(Average weight per box is 30-40 pounds.)

YES, you can use that NYLS JD to drive a truck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  In fact, it clearly says that all you need is an 8th grade education and a driver's license.  The greatest thing is that someone at Career Services actually sat there and thought "Why yes, this is the sort of job our alum would be perfect for."

Ashlee

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2008, 01:15:55 PM »
"you have to stay an extra semester (paid by the school)"

_____________________________ _____________________________ __

Its NOT paid for by the school.  CCP-7 students are only allowed to take a maximum of 12 credits per semester but are STILL charged the full-time tuition which cover 16 credits.  Soooooooooooooooooo, you've already paid for that 'extra' semester.

In actuality, its an additional expense to the student b/c you're forced to pay for an extra semester of books, living and traveling expenses, etc.