Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: reading in law school?  (Read 1513 times)

bobby

reading in law school?
« on: June 27, 2004, 05:47:41 PM »
is reading the only thing you do in law school?  i personally love learning about the law, but despise reading.... is law school not for me?

jeffjoe

• Sr. Citizen
  • ABA? We don't need no stinking ABA.
    • View Profile
Re: reading in law school?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2004, 06:37:56 PM »
I'm haven't started LS yet, but from what I've read you're in for a hard time, if you hate to read.  Reading and writing are what lawyers do most of the time and students do it even more than lawyers.
Praying for peace in Iraq  +
Praying for the tsunami victims   +

bobby

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2004, 09:33:08 PM »
well... i actualy have an uncle whos a lawyer and said he read the equivalent to cliff notes of court cases in law school and that he really didnt have to read a lot at all.... that was 20 yrs ago... is that still common today?

lawgirl

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2004, 11:51:08 PM »
There might be some people who can skate through law school, not really learn anything and come out not competent to represent a client, but why would you want to do that? If you don't learn how to read caselaw in law school (read it, really understand what the case is about and how it fits into the bigger body of law), you certainly won't be able to do it once you begin to practice. And make no mistake, you will need to understand how to do this in practice. Otherwise, I suppose, purchase a ton of malpractice insurance and prepare to switch careers after a few appearences in court.

sarahz

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2004, 11:43:27 AM »
If you hate reading, dont waste the money...even if you just read the 'cliff notes' version of cases your still going to have a lot of reading to do and you are seriously risking your GPA with that method...sure some people say it works for them but i think they are in the minority!

The key things in LS are reading, writing and time management...if you dont like 2 of the 3...i think your screwed!

vw515

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2004, 04:21:43 PM »
I am taking a summer prep course and all you do is read write and read some more. If you dont like to read good luck trying to read areound 200 plus pages of HW a night on top of briefing your case. You better brief especially if you are in a socratic school which is almost all of us you will be embarrased if you dont read and soak it in teachers dont have that much mercy on you. Dont waste your money if you dont want to read you will end up with debt and a low GPA not the best thing in the long run.