Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Laptop Requirements  (Read 1714 times)

Andy

Re: Laptop Requirements
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2004, 11:10:40 PM »
Figured someone should mention the Apple alternative.  With Windows and Internet Explorer being like they are these days, its pretty dangerous joining a networked environment on campus.  I use Westlaw fairly handily on my 3 year old iBook, and have little trouble joining a domain based environment when the occasion calls for it.  You get the accesibility of a Windows network with the security, quality and enjoyability of a Mac.

Be careful with those Dell machines; the computing world is just like everything else--you get what you pay for.  The only reason I can figure people chosing a PC is that most computer users have such low expectations for these things.  We get caught up in all that megahertz/gigahertz mumbo jumo, Microsoft ubiquity and forget that we still have a choice in the market.

Good luck with your purchase, at any rate!

farnsworth

• Sr. Citizen
  • "Good news everyone!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2004, 09:59:54 AM »
I love the apple notebooks, but check with your law school.  Mine specifically won't allow you to take exams on an Apple machine, and requires that you have a Windows machine with their given specs to run the exam software.  (They won't allow you to run a Windows emulator on an Apple either...gotta be a Windows machine)

Andrew.

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2004, 12:09:50 AM »
good comment.  i think my school is pulling those shennanigans.  word is that the testing market is dominated by some sort of propreitary software, the developer of which can't figure out how to lock down a mac machine (USB, WiFi, optical drive, FireWire etc) to prevent cheating.

if only windows machines could be so secure in general use...who knew.  this is why windows emulation on the mac isn't good enough; its a hardware hang up with the testing developers, not a software issue.

anyway, the prohibitive nature of the every-day windows experience (and the costs associated with any laptop purchase) will likely grant you some wiggle room with the school, whereby you might be able to lease a machine from the IS department on test days (as long as you've got your own machine for everything else).  it may seem like a hassle, but its a small concern in the face of these endless windows vulnerabilies.  why should you have to pay because the law school doesn't want to use pen and paper any more?  you want to be able to use this machine in the real world, too...without losing your passwords and financial data to the russian mafia.

when the dept. of homeland security recommends that we avoid internet explorer on windows, you know its time to switch...

Keilie

« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2004, 03:34:36 PM »
There are also a few good laptop rental companies (that will ship to you for the exam).  Check www.laptoprent.com.  They have basic laptops for about $100/week.  Allowing (for a small price) Mac lovers to keep their favorite computers and still not have to handwrite exams.