Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Has anyone tried to communicate with admissions lately?  (Read 13494 times)

flecktone

• View Profile
Has anyone tried to communicate with admissions lately?
« on: June 23, 2004, 09:31:38 AM »
Has anyone tried to contact the admissions office lately with any questions?   Are they good at responding?  I'm getting a little anxious, so I emailed them with some questions.  No response yet, but I only emailed them yesterday.  I have a little too much free time right now, so I'm driving myself crazy obsessing over minor details, but I don't want to have to scramble at the last minute.

For example:

Does the school have lockers available for 1L's?  (I can't remember from my visit)
Does the school recommend any specific configurations for laptops?
Will there be any discounts available through the school for computer purchase?
Do we have to submit any medical records? Final transcripts?  When?

That's all I can think of for now. 

flecktone

• View Profile
Re: Has anyone tried to communicate with admissions lately?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2004, 10:05:15 AM »
I just received a response to my email, so to answer my own question: yes, they are good at responding.

We will be receiving information in mid-July explaining recommended specs for computers, and there will probably be purchase discounts.

Every student is assigned a locker.

For students commuting by car, bad news.  The parking lot next to the school is closing in fall.  This is a problem for me because I will be driving in from NJ.  I guess I'll have to make a trip in and scout around for another lot.  Between this and the school's impending move to Wall Street, I'm getting very concerned about the commutation issue.  Public transportation from where I live is very limited.

FMC

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2004, 10:25:39 AM »

Hey--Did they say anything about immunization records, transcripts or diploma copies?? I may call later today and try to find out. Thanks for letting everyone know they got back to you. I didn't think they are moving to Wall Street for a few years? Has that changed??

flecktone

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2004, 02:29:05 PM »
They didn't say anything about medical or transcripts,but I think that will all be forthcoming in mid-July.  If you find out anything in the meantime, please share  :).

When I visited the school, they said we'd be in the new location for the Spring 05 semester.

nice dog.

kovyann

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2004, 07:50:30 PM »
Final transcripts are due as soon as possible, preferably by July and I don't remember how I found out.  I had my undergraduate send mine already, just to get it over with.  They are sending us a form that needs to be filled out for immunizations in July, but it has to be in by July as well, not August (because I specifically asked if I had until early August, but I don't).

Btw...I have not heard one word about relocating, this is the first.  Have there been any letters, articles, web postings about this?

FMC

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2004, 11:50:56 AM »
Hey all-- I spoke to a current 1L at NYLS yesterday and she said that moving is not in the cards for the near future. She said she is sure she would have heard about it otherwise.

kovyann

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2004, 12:10:40 PM »
I just talked to NYLS and they are looking to move in 2006 somewhere near Wall Street, they don't have a location yet.

flecktone

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2004, 12:13:36 PM »
When I visited the school (I think it was in April), Wm. Perez was pretty vague about it, saying it's not something they're openly discussing on the website or in letters.  But when I pressed him about exactly when the move would be, he said by Spring 05 semester.  I get the feeling that nothing is written in stone - the lease may still be in negotiations, which is probably why they're not informing students.

FMC

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2004, 03:18:03 PM »
Well, that could suck. What are we TCI?? Just moving every couple of years?? How would they handle the library and stuff/ This could be bad.

flecktone

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2004, 12:02:03 AM »
I'm beginning to get the feeling they're pretty disorganized.  I just got an email from Perez saying they "might" have to disband Section D, which I selected so that I could work part time in the mornings.  In fact, Section D, a 3-year full time program where classes start at 3:30 and merge with the night classes, was the major deciding factor in my decision to go to NYLS over others I was admitted to.  I had it all planned, work a few hours in the am, then drive into the city during non-rush hour, park next door, and drive home during non-rush hour.  Now I find out the garage next to the school is closing and Section D is disbanded!  There goes my plan!  I am definitely getting on the phone with Perez on Monday to express my disappointment in this development. 

As for the move, I guess the plans he spoke of in April fell through because he gave a definite address on Wall Street.  I agree, moving the school, especially mid-semester or close to finals, could be hell.