Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Is it a good idea to join a study group?  (Read 1925 times)

flecktone

• View Profile
Is it a good idea to join a study group?
« on: June 21, 2004, 10:27:46 PM »
In college, I never studied with people because I feel that they eventually feed off each other's anxiety, thus creating a toxic environment.  This opinion stems from scenes I observed outside the classroom just before finals - too much second-guessing and anxiety.  In fact, I always made a point to avoid talking to my classmates right before a final because I didn't want anyone disturbing the large amount of information I crammed into my brain the night before.  With that said, I realize that LS is a completely different kind of learning process - (you actually have to apply knowledge, not just regurgitate facts!) - and was wondering if it was a good idea to be in a study group for the first year.  I would hate to find out the hard way whether it was a good idea or not, so any opinions, pro or con, would be appreciated. Thanks.

Todd

Re: Is it a good idea to join a study group?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2004, 11:12:00 PM »
I plan on using a study group of 3 or 5 (odd for voting purposes) in the following manner:

We will meet once a week to go over each class and compare notes/outlines and discuss anything we didn't completely understand.  We will each write our own outlines, be expected to keep up on our reading, attend class and attend the study group.  I will tolerate no feeding off my hard work.  The purpose of the study group is to give everyone an advantage over studying alone.

I am also interested in others ideas regarding study groups.

michelle

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2004, 12:29:40 AM »
I think that joining study groups is very important, but i think that meeting once a week is prob. too much and a waste of time.  (btw, i never had any study groups for undergrad either) Obviously, this kind of thing is very personal and works well for some and not so well for others.  If you are gonna join a study group, make it with people you're not good friends with.  Otherwise, study time can turn into socializing really quickly.  Plus, is someone in the group is slacking off, it will be harder to confront them if they are a good friend.  I think you should plan to meet with your study group after you have finished a major topic, def not more than that.  The 2Ls I spoke with did not have study groups until finals time (and even then, they only met after everyone had done studying on their own).  These 2Ls did, however, say that about 30% of their class did meet regularly in study groups.

Todd

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2004, 02:00:10 PM »
I'll take that advice into consideration, perhaps a less frequent regular meeting with impromptu meetings by vote.

farnsworth

• Sr. Citizen
  • "Good news everyone!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2004, 02:32:18 PM »
I guess I don't consider a study group to be a formal committee with a need for odd numbers of members for a vote.  I plan on doing the same thing I did in undergrad- study on my own, then meet with a few people to try to flesh out issues I don't quite get.  Normally, for me, these are ad hoc things that usually involve a couple IM's and maybe a phone call or two.  I don't see any reason this wouldn't work in law school

eee

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2004, 04:04:45 PM »
i think im definitely going to try a study group from the start of school. once a week seems reasonable to me... my thinking is that i want to get 99.9% of the concepts down from studying by myself (or maybe occasionally with one other reliable study partner) and then use the study group as a chance to buff and polish my understanding... really just to work out any of the super subtle concepts that might not be apparent in class or through reading the text books.

dta

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2004, 01:03:28 AM »
I've read one suggestion that seems to make sense. Do all of your studying independently and on your own. However, use a study group solely for generating hypothetical fact scenarios and discussing how applicable Black Letter Law is relevant and also for extending the given cases into further hypothetical scenarios by changing the facts and discussing how that would change the outcome.

From what i've read that's definitely the kind of dynamic "hypo thinking" you want to engage in to prepare for exams and for obvious reasons it can't be done effectively alone - thus the need for a study group.

Anyway, seems like a sound use of study group time to me.

grahamers

• Sr. Citizen
  • Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2004, 09:48:47 AM »
I plan on following the PLSII suggestion of doing your own outlines and using the SG to work hypos extensively and do practice tests.
34 years old    170 LSAT 2.33 UGPA
Accepted: Wake, Mason, Catholic, Maryland, Baltimore, WVU, Widener
Waitlisted: American
Dinged: GW, Georgetown
Still haven't heard from: Villanova
Attending Mryland