Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: can you do it all in law school?  (Read 870 times)

canuck

• View Profile
    • Email
can you do it all in law school?
« on: June 21, 2004, 10:39:17 AM »
hello.

i'm a soon to be 1L in law school...and i know that it is way too early to be thinking about my second and third years before even finishing 1L.  i was just wondering if any current students know of individuals who have done the following 3 simulatenously things during school:

1.  made Law Review
2.  participated in moot court or inter-mural moot court competition
3.  participated in a legal clinic offered by the school

i only ask because all three interest me to a great degree and i know the criteria for most of them (good grades, etc.).  but from what i can tell, while in school there is absolutely no way that a student can handle all 3 of these things, while maintaining good grades, no matter how good they are at time management.

as for some other advice, besides law review, as a law student, which one would you do if you had to choose between the two:  moot competitions or legal clinics?

thanks in advance for any advice.

canuck.
Headed to Hofstra in August!

Helpful Harry

Re: can you do it all in law school?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2004, 07:18:05 PM »
Let me put this in perspective for you: I had a friend who did Law Review and made it to the semi-final round of 2L moot court, and she almost got kicked off Law Review because she was forced to totally neglect her Law Review responsibilities.  At the same time, her grades plumetted (we're talking drastically... from well within the top 10% to outside of the top 50%). 

Oh yeah, did I mention that my friend is possibly the smartest and hardest working person I know in law school? 

My advice: if you make Law Review, then do law review and nothing else your second year.  If you make advanced moot court (if that's how your school does things), then do advanced moot court, and nothing else your second year.  Wait to do a clinic your third year once moot court or law review responsibilities have calmed down a bit.

canuck

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: can you do it all in law school?
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2004, 08:36:42 AM »
thanks, Helpful Harry.

I really wanted to be realistic in my expectations and your advice helps me to do that.

;D
Headed to Hofstra in August!