Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Important Question - - Is LSAT Accomodated Testing for Disabilities Worth It?  (Read 1597 times)

dft

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
I was diagnosed with ADD a few years ago and I need to get re-tested (have a doctor conduct a battery of neuropsychological tests on me) in order to receive accomodated testing for the LSAT in October.

For those of you who don't know, LSAC adds a statement to your LSAT score when you receive Accomodated Testing - something like "interpret this test result with great flexibility and sensitivity" (see www.lsac.org for the exact statement and other related information).

Because of this, it leads me to think that it may not be worth it to utilize the accomodated testing (that is, if I actually get it).  On the other hand, all law schools are supposedly not legally allowed to "discriminate on the basis of disability" and they state this on their websites.

Some people have told me that if the LSAC allows me to, that I should utilize the Accomodated Testing - but ONLY IF my score increases subtantially when testing myself with time and a half.  This seems to make sense - so basically, if my score goes up by like 10 points or more (this sounds substantial to me) than I should use the Accomodated Testing.

I have also heard from another source that law schools do not consider the the score to be lower at all (I'm assuming this is an effort by the law schools to be nondiscriminatory).

I would like to know what you guys think.  I realize that this is a controversial topic and that many don't believe there should be Accomodated Testing at all.  I'm not arguing that there should be - I'm just asking for some advice on my personal situation.  I posted this on the Pre-Law Board but I wanted to get as much input as possible.  Thanks.

-Corey

Tamill

I was diagnosed with ADD, Dyslexia and many other learning disabilities on a severe level ever since the first grade. I took my ACT and SAT with accommodations as well as every test in my undergrad.

I applied to take the LSAT with accommodations but was denied. Unfortunately, this is not unusual. If you just have ADD, you will most likely be denied accommodations. ADD is too hard to test and unless you have dyslexia or other severe learning disabilities they will barely even consider you. It is extremely hard to get them now on the LSAT. I was tested by 2 different psychologists in the past year and they were both in shock that I did not receive accommodations. Although with more persistence, I could have probably received them. I decided to take the test without accommodations and I wrote a personal statement including my disability to explain a lower LSAT score.

As for the "flagging" that occurs on your LSAC report, they just passed a law against it. The only thing they leave out on the report is the LSAT percentile you were in. Other than that it is normal.

I have been told by many people that having a disability can work to your advantage in the admissions process. I was admitted into a school that I shouldn't have gotten into with my LSAT score. I do believe that if I would have taken the LSAT with accommodations I would have gotten at least 10 points higher, as I did when I practiced it with extended time.

I hope this helps.

NH

• View Profile
Out of curiosity, how do they accomodate your disability?  Do they give you more time?  Sharpen pencils for you?  Read it to you?... I'm not trying to be mean, I'm actually wondering.

TMill

Depending on your disability, you recieve extended time on each section (usually 15-18 minutes longer...time and a half) of the LSAT and you can take the test in a room by yourself. You can also get the test read to you if you need to.