Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Need Advice regarding transferring  (Read 642 times)

mvankirk

• View Profile
Need Advice regarding transferring
« on: June 14, 2004, 07:52:46 PM »
ok...here's the deal. i underperformed on my lsat (self-practice tested in mid 160s, actual test in mid 150s....thanks kaplan!!).

rather than retaking the test (without kaplan influence), i was wondering if there is any value to going to a marginal school "just to get", bust ass for a year and then transfer to a better program.

any thoughts on this strategy and on transferring, in general, would be greatly appreciated.

many thanks!

rainmkr07

• Sr. Citizen
  • Heading to Hofstra Law!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Rainmkr07
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - Rainmkr07
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Need Advice regarding transferring
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2004, 09:21:42 AM »
Sure, it can be done.  I had a 157 LSAT myself.  Depending on your GPA, you can still get into a decent tier 2 school.  The key to transfering (especially upwards) is what your 1L grades are.  If you rank in the top 5% of your tier 2 class, then your shot at transfering upward (at least some - I highly doubt you could get into top 10 from a tier 2 school) - are good.  If your grades are mediocre, then I would think transfering upward would be quite difficult.

Ryan

J

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2004, 10:34:51 AM »
if you are capabale of holding off- take the lsat over again.

School is crucial- if you want big law. i dont know you- but i would not rely on being in top 5% as part of my strategy. it is almost impossible. competition is fierce (especially at 2nd tier- these are capable people for the most part who just did not make the cut in the first tier).

If you feel you wont get lower- take it again.

pistolpetes79

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2004, 12:49:06 PM »
OP, I was in your exact same position last year. I took princeton review and tested in the mid 160's and on my actual LSAT, I scored in the mid 150's. I had high hopes, but I ended up going to a local 4th tier school in my hometown in Tx. I did really well - top 5% - and i'm definitely going to try to transfer. Don't let anyone tell you that you don't have a chance at this school or that school, even if it is top 10. It is definitely still possible. Check http://groups.yahoo.com/group/transferapps/. It's a yahoo groups site for transfer applicants. I think just the other day someone from a 3rd or 4th tier school who was in the top 5% got into Boston College. And this person admittance wasn't an anomaly. There have been plenty of ppl who have gone to a 4th tier school and transfered into a top 20 school and I've heard many ppl who've gotten into top 10 schools such as Chicago and Northwestern.

I'm not sure why ppl's perceive schools not in the first tier to be crap, but you will/should be taught the same material at a tier 1 school as a tier 4 school your first year. Everyone pretty much takes the same courses. And what is exactly the difference b/t a 4th tier and a top tier school?? Some points on the LSAT and some on your GPA? LSAT and GPA are indicators to help predict your law school performance. But after your 1st year of LS, you've already proven to the ad com that you will be a successful law student. I don't care what school you go to, if you are top 5% or top 10%, you can make it anywhere. At every single school, there are going to be ppl who could have gone to a top tier school or a better school, but had to go to this particular LS b/c of family commitments, money, etc. There are also alot of ppl who work there ass off in LS and live in the library in the hopes of trying to transfer out or just to do well and make law review, etc. So there isn't a dearth of smart/competitive ppl at any law school. Trust me... And just b/c a school is ranked a little bit lower than another school, it doesn't mean that it's easier to get an A at the lower ranked school. It's a little counter-intuitive, but it's true. I know ppl at higher ranked law schools, and I've heard the same from other ppl too...