Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: BC class of 2007  (Read 19858 times)

eee

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: BC class of 2007
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2004, 10:14:25 AM »
no problem... and no, im not sure about that, but its something i need to check on... though im still hoping my parents will come through and buy it for me :)

ill probably call financial aid today. ill let u know what i find out.

nachosauce

« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2004, 01:10:22 PM »
package came in the mail from them with a funny suggested reading list. some stuff about getting the eagle card and orienation etc. basically the things they said they would send.

it was exciting to get the package since of allt he schools i had been accepted too, bc was the least communicative. so now it feels like

I AM GOING TO LAW SCHOOL!!!

eee

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2004, 03:22:33 PM »
yeah... just got a call from dad... my stuff just came in the mail. im having him fax me the summer reading list so i can get a jump on that while im driving back to the east coast.

ONLY 2 MORE DAYS OF WORK, BABY!!!

eee

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2004, 03:37:20 PM »
ok, michelle... i called financial aid and here is the deal with the computer:

once you buy the computer, you need to send in a "P-letter" to the financial aid office as well as a receipt for the purchase price of the computer. once you do that, financial aid will increase your cost of attendance by the price of the computer. then you need to go to your private lender and request the additional amount.

this all has to happen no later than 4 weeks after classes start. also, the computer can't cost more than $3000.

so the one catch here is that you have to buy the computer first and THEN ask for more $$.

also, im considering buying a computer from a company called PCs for Everyone (www.pcsforeveryone.com). they are based in cambridge, ma and are VERY reputable. i first heard of them when i was at Tufts because the entire IT department buys their custom computers from this company. when i was in grad school (also at tufts) and i needed an extremely fast machine (faster than i could buy through dell or any of those companies) i had the school get me my research computer from this place.

the reasons why id go with this place over the dells at school is that (1) everything from the power supply to the hard drive is name-brand (as opposed to dell where only the "big" stuff is name brand and the rest is generic, (2) they are a local company, (3) they know their *&^% (unlike the tech people you speak to on the phone at dell and (4) the prices are just as low as dell's

the one down side is that, while they do offer a 3 year warranty, they dont offer a complete warranty like dell does where even if i break it they fix it. this warranty thing is the one reason im still considering a dell.

just wanted to let you know what other options are out there...

michelle

« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2004, 10:19:57 PM »
eee,
thanks so much for all the info.  Its all very helpful!  I'll def look into the PCs for everyone.  The warranty thing is kind of a big drawback tho....hmmm... Well, keep me posted on that you eventually decide, and thanks again!

nachosauce

« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2004, 04:56:25 PM »
what software comes with the bc package though? i see the O/S is XP pro but does Office come with this system?

eee

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2004, 12:12:14 AM »
hmmmm... good question. id assume that it comes with microsoft works (based on the base configuration of computers on the dell website). it also comes with 3 years of McAfee virus software. ill call the bookstore tomorrow and let u know.

nachosauce

« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2004, 10:17:43 AM »
hmm adding to this pc will be the cost of the software then, word etc....

i am going to reconfigure an IBM and see.... i also get a discount at HP...

mermistress

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2004, 09:56:44 AM »
hi everyone,

i'll be a 1L at bc this year too and, as i waver between the bookstore dells and other options, i am wondering if any of you have decided which laptop you are going purchase?

thanks!

eee

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2004, 11:25:27 AM »
im definitely getting a dell... only because im scared that sometime in the next 3 years ill drop it or spill something on it and dell is the only company with the complete warranty where even if i break it, they will fix it.

im 60% in favor of getting the bookstore dells. the only thing that i dont like is that the screen is 14in and not 15in.

the other option that im looking at is to buy through dell directly. one piece of advice... if you do decide to go through dell directly, get a latitude (go to the small business link on the dell website). the advantage is that the small business computers dont come loaded down with all the extra crap that the home/personal computers have on them (aol, bunch of demos, other random software that youll never use, etc...). right now im thinking about a D800. the only problem is that to get everything that the bc computer comes with, its like $700 more!

what are you leaning towards right now?