Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: BC class of 2007  (Read 20504 times)

nachosauce

Re: BC class of 2007
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2004, 12:43:39 PM »
see i am torn on that I HATE DELL

LOL

how did you find out the price on the bc computers did you call the # to get the access code?

eee

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2004, 01:27:20 PM »
yeah... access code is: bclaptop

and i hear you on the dell thing... THEY SUCK! i guess thats why you need the complete warranty.

but man... it really is a good price on the bc website. especially for the multimedia computer (a full GIG of ram!). the only thing i dont like about the computers (aside from the dell thing) is that they are all 14" screens. is that big enough? i was thinking more along the lines of a 15" screen.

ahhhh... too much to think about. you know what? screw this... im not gonna go to law school. i wonder if mcdonalds is hiring for next year...?

nachosauce

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2004, 01:43:47 PM »
thanks for the info. yeah the screen is small but it is very light weight. i don't friggin know. i was all but sold on the ibm.  i do plan to buy a laser printer as well before school starts.

mcdonalds :)

i am comparing the one bc is offering to the one that gw is offering seems the bc one is a sweeter deal includes one additional year of warranty as well as a much larger hard drive and DVD instead of the CD....

eee

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2004, 01:58:26 PM »
so here is the one other problem with the bc computers... bc is offering dell lattitudes. but dell's latest models are the inspirons. dell is only selling lattitudes as refurbished computers. please tell me that if i buy through bc im not getting a refurbished comp!

i called up the bc bookstore and they girl at the desk assured me that they were new... i just dont have much faith that she knew what she was talking about.

nachosauce

« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2004, 02:43:44 PM »
hmm

the gw ones are also lattitudes

taken from their site
"Why these three Dell models?

The Law School chose Latitudes because they are business-level computers that are more stable, sturdy, and flexible in a networked environment like the law school. The Law School has used Latitudes for years and has been pleased with their performance, compatibility of components, and longer life cycle. Inspirons, Dell's other notebook product line, are more appropriate for personal use in a standalone environment and, although they may feature more cutting-edge features, Inspirons are considered to have shorter life cycles. As strange as it may sound, notebook computing as a GW Law student is more comparable to business-use computing than personal-use computing. The three specific models were selected to represent the normal range of choices among notebook types: mobility/lightweight, essentials/midweight, and full-features/large. "

eee

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2004, 02:47:21 PM »
hmmmmm... fascinating... well that does make me feel better.

michelle

« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2004, 01:00:12 AM »
hey--
sorry about the IBM confusion.  A 2L said thats what he got from the bookstore, so i just assumed they'd do the same this year.... Unfortunately, I share your hatred for dells.  I bought an inspiron 4 years ago, and its a piece of crap.  Now, it really just doesn't work at all.  I had a three year warranty, and I had a guy come and fix it FOUR times... then, as soon as the warranty went up, EVERYTHING started going wrong with it.  But, I will still prob go with one of the dells.  Can one of you explain to me in what ways the multimedia's are better than the standard?  Is the deal they are offering really that good?

Let me know what you guys are planning on doing in terms of buying computers... I am lost.  Thanks!

eee

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2004, 09:49:15 AM »
well, ive been getting a lot of conflicting advice about how much to spend and how nice a computer to get. some people have said just to get the absolute minimum... just something that can email and use ms word. other people have said to get a super nice computer as this is what my life is going to revolve around for the next 3 years.

i tend to agree with the latter point of view... its also a nice excuse to buy a really sweet computer :)

so, that said, the multimedia has twice as a better sound card, and twice as much video ram, and twice as much regular ram. ive heard that westlaw and lexis/nexis really uses up a lot of ram so i figure i might as well go with the max. also, itd be nice to be able to use this to watch movies and 64megs of video ram is really a requirement if you want to watch dvds on your computer (though, of course you can get by with 32 megs of ram and you would still be fine). the multimedia also has an 80 gig hard drive while the regular has a 60. this probably doesnt matter as both drives are bigger than i could foresee using (unless you play a lot of games... but when would you have time in law school?)

so, bottom line, the multimedia has twice as much ram as the other computer and that pretty much sealed the deal for me. if you arent familiar with what ram is, exactly, think of it like this:

the size of your hard drive is like a library: the bigger the hard drive the more books you can store in your library

the amount of ram you have is like the size of your table in the library: the more ram you have the more books you can have open and lying on your table at one time.

does any of that help?

eee

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2004, 09:51:45 AM »
oh... and the multimedia also has a little better monitor. though this really is only an issue when watching movies/playing games.

michelle

« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2004, 10:04:16 AM »
eee,
thanks for the explanation.  I guess I'll prob go for the multimedia.  Do you know how we apply for more loan money?  At the housing fair, they said that if we were buying a laptop, they could extend our budgets.  I still haven't gotten my agora passwords, etc, so maybe the info is in their?  Otherwise its another call to financial aid.
Thanks! =)