Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: BC class of 2007  (Read 20307 times)

nach

Re: BC class of 2007
« Reply #50 on: July 19, 2004, 10:27:28 AM »
eee,

yes that includes TP protection which is the idiot proof one. I used the VISA discount so the machine cost 18something with warranty and an added floppy and usb key chain it comes to 2279

eee

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 19, 2004, 12:56:53 PM »
hey nach,
well... i spoke to a bunch of pre-1L friends at other some other schools and they were all blown away by bc's deal. my only concern was the screen size but, at the end of the day, i dont think an extra inch is going to make-or-break me. and it wasnt really worth the extra $700 to get all the same specs as bc's computer (just with a 15" screen). also, it just seemed a hellofa lot easier to get it through bc.

what are the specs of the ibm that you are looking at?

nach

« Reply #52 on: July 19, 2004, 01:41:25 PM »

IntelŪ PentiumŪ M Processor 735 1.70GHz
Microsoft Windows XP Professional
512 MB
40 GB
  15.0"
1024x768
32MB ATI Mobility RADEON 7500
5.7-5.7
  UltraNav
Ultrabay Slim
CD-RW/DVD-ROM Combo
3 year Think Pad protection plus one site
  Integrated Intel PRO/1000 Gigabit Ethernet
56K V.92 designed modem
Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG
IBM Embedded Security Subsystem 2.0

michelle

« Reply #53 on: July 27, 2004, 09:28:49 AM »
So, a bunch of my friends who are going to different schools have gotten some summer homework. Does this exist at BC? Is there some piece of mailing that I am missing, or can we just show up the first day or class not having done any prep? Do we have to wait until orientation to be able to know what books we need to buy?
Thanks!

bc2006

« Reply #54 on: July 27, 2004, 03:16:05 PM »
hi, i just finished my first year at BClaw, so if any of you have any questions about anything, please let me know. 

as for work before school starts, there is none.  other schools usually have some reading assignment before the first day of school, but you'll go through 2 or 3 days of orientation stuff first and then they'll give you your assignment for the first day of real class, so dont worry about anything yet! 

everything is really chill at bc, so don't worry!

mermistress

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #55 on: July 27, 2004, 03:29:19 PM »
thanks bc2006! 

the reputed collegial environment is part of what made bc law so attractive to me and it is good to hear firsthand that the rumors are true :)

on average, approximately how many hours/day did you study during your 1L?

what are you (or most of your fellow students) doing for work this summer?

bc2006

« Reply #56 on: July 27, 2004, 03:43:17 PM »
everything you have heard about BC being different than other law schools is totally, 100% true.  i have friends who attended other schools including Penn, NYU, georgetown, ND, GW, etc. and all of them were pretty miserable all last year, and while my year wasn't easy by any stretch of the imagination, I was definitely not miserable!  Everyone is really willing to work together and help each other out, and having some sort of social life is very important to the other students too.  I made some really great friends this year, and had my fair share of fun.

i would say my average day would be class from 10:00-3:00 (with lunch in the middle), then i would usually go to the library until about 5:30-6:00.  i would go to the gym, go home, eat dinner, and then do another hour or so of work.  i still watched all my favorite tv shows (im a little addicted!), and was able to maintain a long distance relationship through it all. 

about 2-3 weeks before finals, I would say I was in the library most of the time, and that's when I felt the most miserable, but for the most part, my days were pretty balanced and my weekends were somewhat free.

This summer I am working in the office of general counsel for a health system, which I'm really loving.  My friends are all doing very different things.  Some are working for firms, others are working with professors or with the clinic through the school.  some are doing direct service work (legal aid).  some are doing clerkships. Some are at DAs offices. I would say the majority of people are working for non-profits or the government.  BC has a great program through their public interest law foundation where if you do public interest work during your first or second year summer, you can apply for a summer stipend of $3500.  its not a lot of money, but its better than working completely for free, and it pays the rent. 

hope that helps.  let me know if you want to know anything else. 

DeltaTauKyle

• Sr. Citizen
  • Hrm, I look pasty...must be engineering.
    • ICQ Messenger - 272630
    • AOL Instant Messenger - DeltaTauKyle
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #57 on: July 19, 2005, 01:57:07 PM »
More with the laptop stuff:

Dell is running a deal where you can get $750 off any inspiron laptop over $1500. For a grand total of $889 shipped, I got a PentiumM 1.6, 1.5gb of ram, 80 gig hd, cdrw/dvd+/- burner, integrated wireless, etc.

My advice is to make sure you get winXP pro, home is just not friendly with multiple networks.
BC Law '08
Summer IP Intern