Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: BC class of 2007  (Read 20344 times)

mermistress

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: BC class of 2007
« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2004, 12:44:34 PM »

well, as of right now, i am leaning towards the bookstore computer because it seems like a good deal and i love the complete warranty.  i've always been a mac girl so i feel clueless in my attempts to comparative shop among pcs.

however, the consensus seems to be that dells are pretty crappy computers, so i've been investigating ibms as well as the pcs from that company you recommended in cambridge, pcsforeveryone.

thanks for the input, i didn't know that a complete warranty was also available if i purchased dirctly through dell!  a 15 in screen would be nice, but if i buy a dell i will probably go with the bookstore just because the price is so great.

lol...i probably need the complete warranty...i spilled a glass of water on my laptop once during undergrad and the keyboard broke.  i just told the tech guys that the keyboard *mysteriously* stopped working and they fixed it under my warranty    ;)

eee

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2004, 01:28:00 PM »
lol... mysteriously stopped working, huh?

im not sure how well that will go over when i drop mine down the stairs:

"i dont know what happened, man... i just woke up this morning and my screen was in a thousand pieces!" :)

eee

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 13, 2004, 01:31:07 PM »
oh... and as for the computers for pcsforeveryone, i stopped by the other day and decided against it. im sure that the quality is great, but for all the laptops with 15" screens, the warranty was only 2 years. i argued with them for a bit to see if they could bump it up to 3 but no such luck and i dont want to risk having no warranty my last year.

nach

« Reply #33 on: July 13, 2004, 02:59:03 PM »
eee,

I am a little bit confused and hoping that you can shed some light.

I am configuring a laptop, the school requires
10/100 Ethernet Card
10/100 BASE-T Ethernet cable (cat5)
for wired connection

My laptop has
Ethernet description  Integrated Intel PRO/1000 Gigabit Ethernet
Ethernet interface type  Gigabit Ethernet- Integrated

Does that work? or do I have to buy the 10/100 EtherJet CardBus Adapter ?

thanks in advance.

mermistress

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: July 13, 2004, 03:45:40 PM »

thanks for the update on pcsforeveryone...i guess i am going to price an ibm and either go with that or with the dell through the bookstore...

eee

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 13, 2004, 04:42:54 PM »
hey nach,

that card sounds like it will work (though im a far cry from a computer expert... especially laptops)... but i think that card you are talking about is only for the hard connection (so a cord actully gets plugged into the back of your computer).

you still need to make sure that you have a wireless card as well.

what brand of computer are you looking at, btw?

eee

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 13, 2004, 04:44:18 PM »
and mermistress, let me know what you decide on for a computer...

i can never make a decission 'till i know what everyone else is getting... im the same way when i go out to eat :)

michelle

« Reply #37 on: July 13, 2004, 05:12:43 PM »
Hey guys--
I ordered the dell laptop from the bookstore... I got it a few days ago... everything looks good so far... who knows what might go wrong in the future, but for me it was just easier to go for the laptop with everything packaged and set up for me already.  It has the warrenty plus you can buy some additional coverage... good luck on picking a pc!

eee

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 13, 2004, 09:25:06 PM »
hey michelle,
what do you think about the screen and keyboard size of the computer? are they big enough to see/type on? what software did they come with? was there any extra software that you didnt want (aol, etc...)?

also, how long did it take to arrive once you orderd it?

thanks!

jakia

« Reply #39 on: July 14, 2004, 12:52:53 AM »
I ordered the one from the bookstore also.  I'm in Florida and it only took 5 or 6 days to reach me from the time I placed my order.

While I'm not thrilled with the size, as I'm much more comfortable with a full size, the keys and screen are large enough; however, I plan to bring a full-size keyboard for use at home.

Fortunately it's not cluttered with a bunch of junk (aol, etc.)either.