Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: prep for summer before law school  (Read 1510 times)

michelle

prep for summer before law school
« on: June 11, 2004, 09:11:22 PM »
I've been getting lots of random advise on what i should do and buy before i start law school.  I have been told to read primers, commercial outlines, canned briefs, restatements, and something called hornbooks... i've heard the names "aspen" and "glannon" thrown around, and I am at a loss to know what the difference between all these things are and which are worthwhile.  Also, i'd like to buy them used and save as much money as possible, so i was wondering if it matters if they were old editions.  Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanx=)

JD_MSA

• View Profile
Re: prep for summer before law school
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2004, 10:20:57 PM »
My advice--law library!  Don't buy all those expensive study aids until you know (1) which ones really help you or (2) which ones you prefer.  Preview them first at the library. 

In my opinion, it's not necessary to read study aids before law school begins.  My advice (and I'm sure some will disagree) is to read things you actually WANT to read before you start classes.  Once classes begin, you'll be reading casebooks and hornbooks so much that you won't have time/want to read anything else! 

Helpful Harry

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2004, 07:56:55 PM »
Don't worry about learning anything substantive during your pre-1L summer.  If you want to do well, start out on day one already knowing "the secret." 

The secret is that most law school grades are based on a single exam.  Your ability to ace this exams will determine your law school success.  Learn what exams are all about before you even think about learning "the law."  Read "Getting to Maybe," perhaps "Law School Confidential," and definitely do LEEWS.

asugirliegirl

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2004, 01:01:22 AM »
Definitely read Law School Confidential. It will explain all of these terms and give you study ideas.

PattyLimps

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2004, 05:09:17 PM »
Has anyone else taken LEEWS that could give insight into how helpful this was in terms of preparation.

jrcjd07

• MSN Messenger - jrc1216@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2004, 10:41:39 AM »
After spending countless hours reading "what to do before you attend LS" I finally ran across the most valuable resource available.  A friend in the town where I will be going to LS grew up with and is still friends with a graduate of my LS.  This guy is a practicing attorney (with an LLM also) and is a recent graduate.  His insight was invaluable b/c he attended my school and could give me a reasonable idea of what to expect.

Long story short...find someone who has attended your LS, preferrably in the last few years, and pick their brain.  Without being insulting, find out how they really did (grades) and how much work they really put into it.

J

vw515

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2004, 11:05:39 AM »
acing your first year of lawschool
really good short to the point