Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: whast is outlining? Why do I care about it?  (Read 7425 times)

vw515

• View Profile
Re: whast is outlining? Why do I care about it?
« Reply #30 on: July 05, 2004, 05:43:25 PM »
lawgirl what do you think about wordperfect for notes outlining briefing etc.
it came with my laptop seems easy does it make a difference.

lawgirl

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: July 05, 2004, 11:15:59 PM »
I just have Microsoft Word and that is just fine for me. I don't have any fancy graphics or applications. I build my own format just through normal outlining and that is all I need. I bought a law school outlining program at the end of first semester and never used it. My personal opinion is that you get more out of it if you have to figure out how to structure your outlines, etc. I would suggest to just use what you are comfortable with and if you want to upgrade later, do so then. But I think Word programs are just fine.

vw515

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 07, 2004, 12:29:53 AM »
Thanks you are such a great help. By the way I am going to 4th Tier more affordable closse to home and hope to transfer. You give hope to any of us that choose to go to 4th tier and make it higher.

lawgirl

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: July 07, 2004, 09:54:44 AM »
You are very welcome. Just a word of advice. Don't put yourself down for choosing a 4th tier law school and don't let anyone else put you down for it. There are millions of reasons why people attend 4th tier law schools, none of which is stupidity. Don't let anyone else tell you differently because they do not know what they are talking about. Numbers are just that, numbers, and they do not measure the quality of a person, no matter how much a magazine or know it all snob would like you to believe.

I did not start school with the intention of transferring and there is nothing wrong with staying exactly where you are at. Some of my reasons for transferring had to do with tier status, but most of it had to do with bar passage rate, name recognition in the area where I plan to go back to, and also the opportunities that I was able to get at my new school that I could not get at my old school. When I made the decision to transfer, I had to make a very hard choice. I was given a hefty scholarship based on grades at my old school, had an excellent GPA, and was headed for the honor's writing program and law journals. I spoke to judges and lawyers in making my decision. One high level judge told me that it is better to graduate in the top 10% of a tier four law school than the bottom 25% of any other law school. I trust his advice. I transferred because I believed that I could maintian my status. You need to do what is right for you. Life is a series of trade-offs and it usually happens for a reason.

JLaw

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 07, 2004, 10:31:56 AM »
Law Girl,

You are obviously a very high-quality person, very generous and intellegent.  Your comments are most helpful.  Thank you for your participation on this board. 

Now, as they say, "get back to work!"

Sincerely,
jlaw

berkeleygirl

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 07, 2004, 12:31:03 PM »
You need to care about it--depending on your school and the program you are in, outlining your class and study notes is practically the ONLY way to get a better than passing grade--it's the act of outlining that helps you with the material--that's why using others' outlines is so fruitless...

mikebravo

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 08, 2004, 09:32:12 AM »
This is actually for lawgirl.  Congrats on your success.  I am in the same position as you were after your first year.  I am in the top 10% at my Tier 4 school, and I will be on law review. I am considering transferring to a Tier 1 school 50-60 miles from my current school, and probably plan on staying in the general area after I graduate. I was waitlisted at this school last year (also based on a bad LSAT day), but now they are happy to offer me admission. My concern is that I am giving up too much to attend this school, just to save a little money and move up to a better school. My old school just offered me a nice scholarship also. I'm pretty sure I can do well in the Tier 1 school. I think it is just a matter of working hard and applying yourself. How did you ultimately make the decision to move up?  If I plan on staying in the general area of both schools is it better to graduate in the top 10% of a Tier 4 school, or maybe top 1/2 of a Tier 1 school?  I also have a chance to write-on to law review after my second year.  How did the law review issue work into your decision-making process?  Thanks for your time. It seems you have been a great help to many people, so I thought I would ask. Thanks again.

lawgirl

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: July 08, 2004, 09:57:59 AM »
Mike,

I will be gone all day today and most of tonight so I don't have a chance to answer right now. I will be back tomorrow and I promise to respond then.
 :)
LawGirl

canuck

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: July 08, 2004, 10:01:21 AM »
i think LawGirl should have her own section in LSD, Andrew if you could make that happen it would be great!  ;D

maybe call it "Ask LawGirl".  that way she can get the proper recognition she deserves.
Headed to Hofstra in August!

lawgirl

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: July 10, 2004, 08:57:58 PM »
Mike,

I made the decision to transfer by speaking to judges and lawyers that I know. All of them leaned toward me transferring, mainly because I was returning to an area where employers would be more likely to recognize my new school (and, the name that would be attached is more prestigious to them. I don't agree with the reasons for it, but I am seeing more and more that it can make a difference). As for your specific situation, make some calls to local attorneys, headhunters or anyone in the field that can give you opinions. To me, that really is the best way to gage how your school will be received. Look for an opinion of someone not affiliated with your current or prospective schools.

To me, law review is pretty important. I'm under the impression that most employers feel it is pretty important. If you don't have it, I'm not sure if doing moot court or things like that can make up for it or not. I just don't know. I was lucky enough to transfer to a school that will let me on if I meet all of their requirements.

Congratulations on your success in law school. I see a lot of people slack after the first semester or so. I know how easy it might be to slip into that, but keep working hard and do your best. Congrats!

If you have any other questions, let me know.

LawGirl