Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: whast is outlining? Why do I care about it?  (Read 7312 times)

lawgirl

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: whast is outlining? Why do I care about it?
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2004, 12:35:50 PM »
You also asked about flow charts and note taking in class. I used flow charts for one class (Civil Procedure). I used it after I had already outlined and started studying. It was a way to test my knowledge and see if I was understanding the relationships between concepts. In general, I think you should use whatever works. The best advice I can give you is that the more you actually work with tne material, the better. If you have a system that works for you, use it. Above all else, do whatever it takes to understand the law at the minute level (black letter law, for example; the definition of intent for battery purposes), but MAKE SURE you can put it into some kind of a structure
(Torts: Intentional Torts, Negligence, Strict Liability).

As for note taking, I'm not sure what you are asking. I use a laptop (I wrote them by hand the first semester and it is much easier with a laptop). I try to figure out what the structure of the class is for that day (ex: Civil Procedure: Subject Matter Jurisdiction: Types: Diversity Jurisdiction and Federal Question Jurisdiction) and how it would fit in an overall structure for the class. And then I take notes. I might use a header: Diversity Jurisdition and take notes over all of the cases and what ever the prof says pertaining to diversity jurisdiction. Then, when the prof moves to federal question jurisdiction, I make a new header for that and do the same thing.

lawgirl

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2004, 12:45:07 PM »
As to your last comment, what you are feeling right now is perfectly normal. This is something that every new student goes through. You feel lost and not sure what to expect, how things work, etc. That is perfectly normal and every 1L feels that way. The best thing that I can recommend is to read the 1L primer books that are out there describing what law school is like and what happens,  how to do well, etc. They will not necessarily be on target for your specific school and they cannot give you THE method that will work for everyone, but it is a nice preview and it is something to make you feel better and not so lost.

If I can do anything else, let me know. I'll answer any questions that you have.

eee

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2004, 02:58:51 PM »
thanks so much LawGirl! i appreciate all the advice!

now when you outline, do you just use ms word or did you buy some of the special software that is out there like Inspiration 7.5?

lawgirl

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2004, 03:08:21 PM »
I just use MS Word. There are a lot of companies that make software for law school and I have seen some people use it. I'm sure it is helpful to some people. I don't use it because I prefer to create the outline myself. I feel like I get more out of it when I have to create it myself (another exposure to working with it to learn the material). I'm sure it is fine and there is nothing wrong with it. I just don't prefer it.

flecktone

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2004, 03:29:26 PM »
Many thanks to eee for asking such good questions, and many, many, many thanks to lawgirl and egfmba for your responses.  This is one of the most valuable threads I've encountered.

vw515

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2004, 04:09:12 PM »
yeah this was the first thread that actually helped me in anyway thanks :)

canuck

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2004, 04:23:38 PM »
LawGirl...you totally rock! I have to agree that this thread was the most useful one I've read at LSD.

Just wondering if you followed the Planet Law School method since you did suggest reading primers on the subjects and so forth.

Thanks,

canuck.
Headed to Hofstra in August!

lawgirl

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2004, 04:47:37 PM »
You are all very welcome. I never read Planet Law School, but I did read a lot of the other popular primers. For me, it was a way to see what techniques were out there but really, it was to stop me from freaking out when I was waiting to start school. I really hated not knowing what things would be like, it made me uncomfortable. The techniques that I incorporated are probably a mixture of a lecture we received in law school and my own experiments.

The biggest thing that I can recommend is to learn the law but see the big picture and figure out how to apply it to more hypos than just the cases you are reading. If you can see how everything fits together (how that one, minute rule from that case a long time ago fits in as an explanation of one element: intent, how that element fits in as part of what has to be proven for a specific law: battery, and how that specific law fits into the body of law that covers that area: intentional torts for tort law) then you have suddenly conquered a large part of the game that others never do. Those are the ones that I have seen over and over again fail out. It was because they did not see how everything fit together. Do whatever you need to do: outlines, graphs, paste up charts on your wall if you have to. It will come together if you go in with that focus.

If any of you have other questions, I usually check in daily. Good luck to all of you.!!!

neverends

« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2004, 04:32:53 AM »
Profoundly helpful, thank you lawGirl.

What law school are you attending?

lawgirl

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2004, 10:28:03 AM »
I started out at a fourth tier school. I transferred up to a first tier and still ended up in the top of my class (sorry, not trying to brag, but some think that if you attend 4th tier that you are stupid which is not so). I had an awful LSAT experience which held me back in choices for law school, but my first year grades in law school enabled me to transfer.