Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 1L Summer  (Read 2536 times)

lstudent

1L Summer
« on: June 09, 2004, 04:33:19 PM »
Would it be detrimental for 2L summer employment, and perhaps even securing a job after law school, if during the summer of 1L one does studies abroad for law school credit?   

Also, I understnad that I will need to speak with my chosen school about this, but would a law school accept credit earned through a study-abroad program coordinated by another school?

Any info re: these two questions would be greatly appreciated!

front pocket

Re: 1L Summer
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2004, 04:46:34 PM »
Study abroad is so undergrad, IMO! Do a public interest fellowship if you want to sow your wild law oats. But if you do choose study abroad it probably will not hurt unless you are on the BIGLAW track.

onehandedreader

• Sr. Citizen
  • Balzac, Jaws of Death
    • View Profile
    • how real can one keep it?
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2004, 05:44:56 PM »
Study abroad is so undergrad, IMO!

this is easily the most lame response i've seen on this board.  what if you're studying international law, and plan on working in an industry that has strongs ties to or relations with the country you want to study abroad in?  i've been told that it's not the best thing you can do with your 1L summer, but i think it depends partly on how you spin it to your prospective employers the next year.  i really don't see how it could hurt your career prospects, some employers might even be impressed by something as adventurous as moving to another country to study law for the summer.

also, alot of schools have study abroad programs that are taught by supreme court justices, so they can't be that 'undergrad.'
www.antihumanity.com
how real can one keep it?

Helpful Harry

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2004, 07:43:58 PM »
Do whatever the hell you want during your 1L summer, as long as you meet the following criteria: 1. your summer activity is at least tangentially "legal", 2. you have a good "story" about how your summer activity fits into your career ambitions, and 3. your summer activity is sufficiently interesting to sustain a 20 minute conversation with the lawyer sent to your school for screening interviews.

Grades and law review are far more important than "what I did on my summer vacation."

DULaw2006

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2004, 02:31:22 PM »
The only employers who would see studying abroad as a detriment are big law firms.  Some employers don't care about what you did in the summer following 1L, and if you have good grades and are on a journal then you'll be fine.  It depends on a lot of things, but what you did in your 1L summer is more important for your 2L summer job than your job after law school.  Even then, I know many summer jobs that use your writing sample as the biggest/only factor.

smujd2007

• Sr. Citizen
  • January 6, 2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2004, 02:29:06 PM »
I know some upperclassmen at my school who studied abroad for the first half of the summer, and came back to work for a law firm.  So, if you play your cards right, maybe you could do that.
smujd2007 is now an Attorney at Law!

daynee

• Sr. Citizen
  • 2.84/162 University of Richmond 1L - FINALLY!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2004, 12:33:24 PM »
The only employers who would see studying abroad as a detriment are big law firms. 

Could someone explain why it would be a detriment?  I'm honestly curious.  Thanks...
If we do not find anything pleasant, at least we shall find something new.  ~ Voltaire, Candide

smujd2007

• Sr. Citizen
  • January 6, 2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2004, 06:23:31 PM »
Some people say that studying abroad is an "immature" thing.  By the time you've decided to go to law school, and you finish your 1L year, you should be thinking more professionally than about "studying abroad."  You should be making career contacts, and showing the world (or at least, an employer), what you can do in the legal profession.  The school year is for studying, and the summers are for making connections that help to put you in the employed column upon graduation. This is just what I know from other upperclassmen and a very small sample of attorneys in my area.  It doesn't mean that I agree with the response.  However, if you are playing with this idea that much, I don't see why it is a problem.(You have gone back to a post from a week ago - you are obviously giving this some thought).  If you want to do it, then do it.  Life does not always fit into nice neat little boxes; I wouldn't worry much about how it "affects your future" if you know in your heart that it is something that you want to do. 

daynee

• Sr. Citizen
  • 2.84/162 University of Richmond 1L - FINALLY!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2004, 08:42:23 PM »
Some people say that studying abroad is an "immature" thing.  By the time you've decided to go to law school, and you finish your 1L year, you should be thinking more professionally than about "studying abroad."  You should be making career contacts, and showing the world (or at least, an employer), what you can do in the legal profession.  The school year is for studying, and the summers are for making connections that help to put you in the employed column upon graduation. This is just what I know from other upperclassmen and a very small sample of attorneys in my area.  It doesn't mean that I agree with the response.  However, if you are playing with this idea that much, I don't see why it is a problem.(You have gone back to a post from a week ago - you are obviously giving this some thought).  If you want to do it, then do it.  Life does not always fit into nice neat little boxes; I wouldn't worry much about how it "affects your future" if you know in your heart that it is something that you want to do. 

Well, I have two reasons for wanting to study abroad, and they're somewhat related.  One, the school I plan to attend has a program in Great Britain.  I love England and would love an opportunity to go back, spend a fairly decent amount of time there, and not be 100% tourist.  Secondly, I'd like to be able to work in England or work for a firm with offices in Great Britain; I'd like to move there eventually, perhaps semi-permanently.  I don't necessarily think that it would give me an edge for my 2L job prospects here at home (or post-law school, for that matter), but it's something I want to do.  Law school will be a wealth of second chances for me, and studying abroad is just one of those things of which I can't wait to take advantage.  It's interesting seeing other's perspectives, though; the practicality of it is definitely something to consider.
If we do not find anything pleasant, at least we shall find something new.  ~ Voltaire, Candide

smujd2007

• Sr. Citizen
  • January 6, 2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2004, 11:49:47 AM »
Just curious... what school do you have in miond?  I think (personally) if you can make it happen financially then you should di it.  What stage of the law school game are you in?  Are you applying, or are you starting soon?  B/c you might have some time to ponder this, and talk to some people at your school that have participated in the program.