Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: women in law  (Read 518 times)

evas

women in law
« on: June 08, 2004, 11:40:05 PM »
Hey guys,

I am applying to law school next year after retaking the LSAT in October (150 for my 1st time).  My concern is about my future as a lawyer.  I will have to take out 100-120k in loans to finance my education.  Then, when I come out I will work full time for a year and then start a family.  At that time, I plan on working part time until my kids are in school.  That means that I will not be makin serious money (100k) that will pay back my loans until my mid-thirties.  If I do not go to law school, I will start working in marketing/advertising in two years without any loans, and will start making money. 

My concern is whether lawyers can work part time and how much can they make?  Also, if I work part time for 5-7 years, can I then return full time with enough credibility as a good lawyer?  If anyone has been in this situation or gone through it, please share your experience.  By the way, my husband is going to be a doctor, so when he finishes medical school I will need to focus on our family more because of his hectic schedule. 

Any advice is much appreciated...Thanks!

vw515

• View Profile
Re: women in law
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2004, 12:15:31 PM »
All honesty I think you should work full time for three years at least then start  a family. You are going to have lot of loans and if you get rid of those first you can provide for your children. I wish you luck in anything you decide to do but being a part time lawyer is going to be hard especially if you are building your carrer. The DA's office is probally as close as you will get to part time as a new attorney they carry pretty much a 9 to 5  on a good week. It is bad enough we have to prove ourselves as women in this world dont destroy your future as an attorney before you begin. Associates have alot to prove good luck

vw515

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2004, 12:16:14 PM »
All honesty I think you should work full time for three years at least then start  a family. You are going to have lot of loans and if you get rid of those first you can provide for your children. I wish you luck in anything you decide to do but being a part time lawyer is going to be hard especially if you are building your carrer. The DA's office is probally as close as you will get to part time as a new attorney they carry pretty much a 9 to 5  on a good week. It is bad enough we have to prove ourselves as women in this world dont destroy your future as an attorney before you begin. Associates have alot to prove good luck

evas

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2004, 11:59:15 PM »
anybody???