Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: No pens for LSAT?  (Read 910 times)

burghblast

• Sr. Citizen
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - tforsean
    • View Profile
No pens for LSAT?
« on: May 31, 2004, 04:17:09 PM »
I've been practicing for the October LSAT for a couple months already. I just picked up the 2004-05 LSAT/LSDAS Registration and Information Book from my university's undergrad pre-law advising office.  I was shocked to read the following regulation:

"You may use only a No. 2 pencil or highlighter pen to underline passages in the test book.  Ink or ballpoint pens are not permitted."

Are pens really prohibitted?  I had been using 4 or 5 pages of scratch paper on the games sections until I found out that was prohibited.  I managed to adjust by using a pen to make an initial diagram for each game problem, then using pencil to fill in specific details/conditions and quickly erasing for each question.  This technique has dramatically boosted my scores, because I spend less time redrawing diagrams.  I can't imagine why they would prohibit pens during the test, unless to prevent exactly this technique.

First no scratch paper, then this.  I'm afraid to find out what my next surprise will be - Does the writing sample have to be done left handed?

Todd

Re: No pens for LSAT?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2004, 11:21:03 PM »
Yes no pens, and no you don't have to write left handed, however they will provide a left handed desk if your are left handed.  This is a serious test, read the books they will tell you what you can and cannot do.

flecktone

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2004, 12:26:20 PM »
Here's what you need to do for the logic games.  Since highlighters are allowed, bring a highlighter in a darker color like blue or purple and with a finer point so that you can draw diagrams with it (I used a bic brite liner).  That way, you can use the highlighter pen to draw the initial diagram and fill in the details and changing conditions with pencil which can be erased for each question.  This method was recommended by my tutor and worked very well.  It's also a very good idea to get accustomed to working the games out in the small spaces available in the booklet.

habeas_dorkus

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2004, 05:03:12 PM »
When I took the LSAT, they announced several times that pens were not allowed, even on the writing sample. They must have said the words "You cannot use a pen" 10 times. It was like a broken record.

Needless to say, some genius used a pen for his writing sample. The proctors didn't notice until near the end of the session. Unbelievable.

flecktone

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2004, 09:33:31 PM »
The Bic brite liner is a highlighter, definietly not a pen (you might have been misled when I referred to it as a "highlighter pen")  It is perfectly allowable for the LSAT.

Understandable that someone used a pen for the writing sample.  I seem to remember the LSDAS instructions saying that that portion is done in pen. 

burghblast

• Sr. Citizen
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - tforsean
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2004, 08:43:30 PM »
Thanks for the Bic Brite Liner tip.  I'll have to check those out.