Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: California Western school tips  (Read 881 times)

kastet

• View Profile
    • Email
California Western school tips
« on: May 27, 2004, 05:11:45 PM »
 Hey everyone. Anyone graduated from or currently attending california western? Its a T4 school, and i got into a T2 school... but i dont really like the environment of it. I see that the expected salary for cali. western is around 60. Is that true? Its kind of low. and how hard is it to live and find jobs in san diego? Anyway, if anyone could give me any tips about the job, san diego, and the schools program it would be great.
THANKS!

mss

Re: California Western school tips
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2004, 01:10:50 PM »
Have the best Prof. in Law School today, Dean Dessent.  Funny, Intelligent and makes learning the law invigorating.  I had him at USD, he made it so interested that you couldnt wait for class each week!!!

madmax

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2004, 09:26:21 PM »
Don't got to a school b/c they have one cool prof.  That's lame.  No matter what you do, go to Tier 2.  CalShitWest is a weeder school, meaning they will flunk out the bottom 1/3 at the end of 1L.  Many people ignore this advice, but they soon find that it really does matter.  There are a lot of smart students who if they went to a non-weeder tier 2 or tier 1, would have graduated peacefully and sit for the BAR.  and a lot less stress to boot.  A forced curve means that there are not enough seats in the 2L class and not enuff faculty, so they make 1L's compete like no tomorrow.  It's not to make better attys, it's to raise rankings, and keep $$ from all the flunkees (about 1million a year) to improve the schools facilities.  the justification is, oh, we gave them a chance.  Horseshit.  dont accept someone if you dont think they will pass 1st year.  make them choose another career path. and dont steal their f-ing money.

if you got into a tier 2, which these days is very hard, you shouldnt throw that away.  you're not buying a car, comparing which school "feels" better.  you will get a better education at tier 2 (that's why they are tier 2) have far better experience, and maybe even a social life.  at calshitwest you will work your ass off just to survive. and maybe have student steal your notes before finals, especially if you are one of the smart ones.   

if tier 2 is in a state that you hate, then dont go, but only if you really hate that state.  It is hard to go from a local school back home to practice b/c you have to take 2 BARs, and employers may be prejudice.  But if you got into some well known national schools, attend and never look back. law school will affect your 1L experience, graduation, job offers, and future in law.  as well as your SANITY. wouldn't you kick yourself in the ass if you chose Calshittier and were one of the unlucky ones, to owe all that $$ with no job, and you could had a solid, supportive  career at tier 2?   

dont go to a much lesser school b/c it's in pretty san diego.  you're not a tourist. that's not your job. and who gives a *&^% about that 1 professor.  @#!* him.

now which one sounds better?

madmax

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2004, 09:29:21 PM »
oh, one more thing: 

Only go to Calwest if they offer you a full scholarship, a beach pad on the sand, a Ferrari, and servants to massage you after class. 

mannumberfour

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2004, 08:13:50 PM »
mad max is 1000% right!!  I don't know him/her but I could have written that post myself.  You will never get a job graduating from there even if they don't weed you.  Plus, do you want to contribute to that system.  They give about 20-25% of the class full scholarships, knowing they are gonna take the $$$ of a about 100 people who are gonna get the boot.  It's reverse Robinhood.  Worse, the idiots there who have the full scholaships think they are really something special  -- just because they got a 100% free bucketfull of warm sh**.  So, you have to put up with the inappropriate arrogance from 1/4 of your classmates while you simultaneously watch 1/3 of your classmates flushed down the sh**ter with about 50K debt each (yes for one year because it's tuition plus living expenses!!). 

Oh, FYI, there are no jobs in San Diego.  The few jobs that don't go to the grads of top 10 lawschools go to the to 10% of USD graduates.