Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Orientation Day  (Read 1356 times)

MikeUSD

• View Profile
Orientation Day
« on: May 25, 2004, 04:13:32 AM »
This question is pretty much directed towards Sassy:

What exactly should we expect on orientation day?  When will we receive our first assignments? When do we get divided into our cohorts? 

I expect that we will have reading over the weekend before day 1 of classes. :P

Sassy

• View Profile
Re: Orientation Day
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2004, 10:53:06 PM »
Orientation is pretty low key.  Okay - here's the evidence that I'm likely the biggest pack rat attending USD:  I actually still have the orientation schedule from when I was an incoming 1L.  You arrive at a certain time and they give you a package of information, which includes a checklist of things you need to do that day.  For example, register (they just give you your schedule -- you don't get to select your classes or professors), buy your books, get your student ID card, parking permit and e-mail account, get your assignments, etc.  You also have to attend a financial aid presentation - basically they tell you this is a lot of debt and better plan for it (like you didn't already know that, right?).  They also have presentations from current students and alumni-- what to expect in law school, e.g., the socratic method, finals, etc.  I also remember at some point there being pizza and beer.  I think last year, they even organized to go to a baseball game or something (don't quote me on that). 

It's just a good chance to get familiar with the campus and meet fellow 1Ls.  At all costs, avoid doing any posturing and don't listen to anyone engaging in posturing.