Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Looking Forward to Fall  (Read 11570 times)

bobfett33

Re: Looking Forward to Fall
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2004, 04:03:06 AM »
I'm SO excited to be on law review!  That will be a big part of my motivation toward getting good grades.  Sassy, it sounds like you're on law review.  Do you or anyone else on there have any editorial experience from undergraduate, like on a newspaper? 

I can't believe they don't give full scholarships to their top 3Ls...  and, to your understanding, does the top 1L always transfer to a "better" school?  My information tells me that's par for the course.

Jan

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2004, 05:19:30 PM »
Sassy-

USDs attrition rate seems really high...do you know a lot of people who have left, and was it because they transferred out or because they got kicked out because of grades?  Thanks!   :)

baseballjones

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2004, 08:40:34 PM »
Great info Sassy. thanks

It looks like I'm going to be @ USD at least next year.  Unless I get off WL of USC or Davis.  Eventhough USD is not my first choice, I'm getting amped about attending.  Determined to suceed make Law Review, get a 2L scholarship, and maybe transfer out to a top rated school.  I'm just excited to get going and hope to kick some ass along with the rest of you.

Sassy

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2004, 01:01:36 AM »
Hi all -

I'll just reply to all the various posts w/ this one post

Law review:  No experience required for law review.  Law review members are selected based on grades and participation in the write-on competition (see my post under the Law Review topic).  To be elected to the law review board for your third year, you just have to interview before the entire outgoing board.  Prior editing experience is helpful, but most don't have it.  You're mostly judged on how well you did your 2L law review assignments - so if you want to be a board member and get to do substantive editing, make sure to do a good job on your 2L assignments.

Scholarships:  The scholarship scale based on grades is what I posted.  However, some students start at USD with an incoming scholarship that requires the student to stay in say the top 1/4 or 1/3 of the class.  Those scholarships are for the full 3 years so as long as your standing is within the acceptable range of the scholarship terms, you're fine -- those are probably the students below top 5% that have scholarship.  If you have one of these renewable scholarships and you end up being top 5%, they'll give you the better of the two scholarships for that year.  As far as no full scholarship for 3Ls, I would imagine it's because at that point we're stuck and can't transfer so they figure 80% is good enough. 

Transfers:  A handful of students do transfer every year, but not nearly as many as I expected.  For example, in the last two years the top 5 or so students have not transferred.  I can't really speak for all of them as to why that is - maybe they have ties to SD or maybe they'd rather graduate first in their class from USD than middle of the pack somewhere else.  We do have a certain number of students transfer to Berkeley every year -- our dean is from UC Berkeley and don't quote me on this but I think he's got some arrangement for Berkeley to take some of our top students as tranfers.  Anyway, that's just what I heard through the rumormill and seems to make sense because everybody I know that has transferred, went to Berkeley.

Failing out:  USD does fail out a certain number of students after the first year.  I'm not familiar with the policy though, I just know it happens.  USD does have a good academic support program, with student group leaders for every 1L class to help you through that trying first year.  I encourage each of you to take advantage of the academic support that is offered -- too many people don't and pay for it later by learning stuff the hard way.

I won't kid you, law school is tough, but it's also an amazing experience.  It sounds like all of you are geared up and ready to go.  Keep that spirit for the fall!! :)

Spicoli

« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2004, 04:39:00 PM »
I'll be there this fall.  Probably moving to San Diego at the end of July to get settled.

onehandedreader

• Sr. Citizen
  • Balzac, Jaws of Death
    • View Profile
    • how real can one keep it?
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2004, 07:04:40 PM »
i'll be there, it's gonna rock.  see y'all at orientation.
www.antihumanity.com
how real can one keep it?

MikeUSD

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2004, 08:55:02 PM »
YEAH! Lets get pumped up for USD.  Am I the only who's buying a surf board?!

8)

Spicoli

« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2004, 10:43:53 PM »
ha, no I'll be leaving my board at my parents house in orange county.  I'm planning on living in the mission hills, hillcrest area to avoid the distractions of the beach.  You'll have to surf everyday before you will get decent.  Good luck.

Card02

« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2004, 10:50:48 PM »
I am definitely going to learn how to surf!  I have always wanted to and living in San Diego is going to be my opportunity.

onehandedreader

• Sr. Citizen
  • Balzac, Jaws of Death
    • View Profile
    • how real can one keep it?
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2004, 12:25:35 AM »
why would you move to san diego and leave your boards at home?  i'm bringing all of mine and renting as close to the beach as possible, so i can get dawn patrol at least 3 days a week before class.  they say exercise is key to being mentally focused, that's where i'll get mine.
www.antihumanity.com
how real can one keep it?