Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: weight to work experience  (Read 747 times)

pross

weight to work experience
« on: May 21, 2004, 12:10:09 PM »
i think this is the board on which to pose this question, since you're all accepted and attending law school and you probably have a sense of the backgrounds of your classmates.  in your opinion, how much weight is given to relevant work experience in the admissions process?  do you have classmates who (or do you, yourself) credit work experience for helping them gain acceptance to law school?  to what degree?  has that work experience been a benefit in law school?

TEEGP

• View Profile
Re: weight to work experience
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2004, 05:28:55 PM »
The answer is relative: it all depends on what you've done and for how long. Here are some examples of helpful vs. common work experiences:

1) After 30 years in the workforce, Jane Smith decides that law school is an interest/or is needed to further her career.

2) Because Joe Smith can't get into law school, he decides to work as a paralegal for a year to "bolster" his application.

If your "experience" is similar to that of Jane and you can tell a good story, go for it (and use it). If, on the other hand, you think that by going Joe's route you will distinguish yourself from other candidates, don't count on it. Admission committees spot "interim" work experience and it doesn't mean jack sh*t to them- seriously. Work on your UGPA and LSAT score- they're critical to a successful application.

pross

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2004, 02:52:47 PM »
i'm sort of in between.  i work because i coudnt get into law school.  instead, i decided to go to law school because i loved the work i do. mine would read something like this: 
out of college, joe starts career in politics and quickly enjoys success.  in order to be as effctive as possible in field that he loves, he decides law school is something he wants to pursue. 
(the problem is, its not 30 years of work experience, its only 5 years)

pross

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2004, 12:20:03 PM »
correction on that last post.  it should read "i dont work (or, the reason i work is not) because i couldnt get into law school."