Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Nyone going to Ave Maria?  (Read 3727 times)

panahi

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - brianpanahiid
    • View Profile
    • Email
Nyone going to Ave Maria?
« on: May 20, 2004, 10:56:59 AM »
I hear that Ave Maria would be ranked in the top 45 if the ranking was based on the rigor of admissions, and that the student body LSAT and GPAs place it in the top 20%.
Ave Maria
Everyone seems to say that the school is very conservative. But I think it is conservative on topics like abortion and marriage, in which really it would be easy to argue any side. Moving on. They have the distinguished professor Bork on tenure, the backing of Clarence Thomas, and Antonin Scalia.

They are answering to a higher calling, based on Natural Law and morality, truth, and the Catholic intellectual tradition. I have read that "they are the darling of the conservative underground" however, I doubt that they see it that way as they have been pretty public about what they aim to do.

The school is located in beautiful Ann Arbor, once a top rated place to live. I have seen rankings that place them in the top 100 schools out now. The school is only three years old so there are limited clubs and organizations to join. I suppose that I would like to start an intellectual property society chapter there. I have taken a look at the student body that is currently attending, and they look like bright people.
Anonymous Class of 2007
Anonymous Scholar

panahi

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Anyone going to Ave Maria?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2004, 11:21:02 AM »
I am going to Ave Maria on a full-tuition scholarship. I want to practice IP law. I had a 2.47 UGPA in electrical engineering from the University of Texas and a 171 on the LSAT. I have 3 years of experience as an engineer working for Motorola and General Dynamics Robotic Systems. you can see more about me at www.beingpanahi.com. Don't mind the circle-guy thing, its under construction.

Anonymous Class of 2007
Anonymous Scholar

mags0421

Re: Nyone going to Ave Maria?
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2004, 09:05:11 PM »
 I too, am going to Ave Maria on a full scholarship.  I live near the area and turned down UM.  I think the school has great potential and around here, everyone has positive things to say about it.
   Have you gotten your summer reading books yet?  The 50 Questions on Natural Law is a good intro to the Catholic ideals if you aren't Catholic....

panahi

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Nyone going to Ave Maria?
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2004, 01:37:16 AM »
Yes, I have received and read the 50 questions book. It is an interesting read. Do you have any insights?
Anonymous Class of 2007
Anonymous Scholar