Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Best software for note taking and/or outlining  (Read 14737 times)

jomolungma

• View Profile
Re: Best software for note taking and/or outlining
« Reply #60 on: June 24, 2005, 10:57:01 PM »
I did look into Dragon Naturally Speaking - a friend mentioned that recording and then having the computer transcribe it sounded like a good idea, but the more I looked into it, I didn't think it would work in a lecture hall.

HTH

DNS will almost certainly not work in a lecture-hall format because it needs to learn the voice it is transcribing.  Unless your professor is willing to go through all the sample readings into your computer for you, it probably is a lost cause.

OneNote's recording feature is simply a "Record" button that accesses your microphone and records the input to a WMA file.  Theoretically the file size is limited by your hard disk space.  The useful aspect of the recording feature is that if you type notes while recording, the program keys your notes to points in the recording at which you typed them.  So, if on review you are looking at a note you typed, there will be an icon next to it which, when clicked, will cue up the recording at the exact moment you typed the note.  Actually very useful I've found.

be10dwn

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #61 on: June 25, 2005, 09:36:16 AM »
So u don't think I should bother w/Microsoft One Note?  I really like it because of its recording feature.

We use Wordperfect at the office to do merge documents with Time Matters and TIme Slips which a lot of legal offices use - the experience working with it in school will be positive for the "real world".  ALso, there is a Legal Toolbar on wordperfect which sets up an outline and other features which I have yet to use. 

HTH

I like onenote, but it is your choice.  I read on this thread someone really like goBinder, but I hated it.  You should just play around with them and see what you like.

Kelly

• I love the LSAT!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 25, 2005, 06:23:58 PM »
I'll try One Note's free trial and see how I like it.  What I like about it so far is that it has a recording feature along w/keeping a order of notes, outlines and such.

The recording feature is what fascinates me.

So u don't think I should bother w/Microsoft One Note?  I really like it because of its recording feature.

We use Wordperfect at the office to do merge documents with Time Matters and TIme Slips which a lot of legal offices use - the experience working with it in school will be positive for the "real world".  ALso, there is a Legal Toolbar on wordperfect which sets up an outline and other features which I have yet to use. 

HTH

I like onenote, but it is your choice.  I read on this thread osmeone really like goBinder, but I hated it.  You should just play around with them and see what you like.

lawschoolmama

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 26, 2005, 12:38:29 PM »
DId you use recorders in undergrad?  I graduated a long time ago, and just finished 5 paralegal courses at my local community college and did it without recording them.  I have no experience with the digital recorders and just wonder if it is really necessary/worthwhile.  I just don't have enough hours in the day to relisten to them due to family obligations.  Any additional info would be appreciated.  Thanks

shimra

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #64 on: July 26, 2005, 11:30:22 AM »

OneNote's recording feature is simply a "Record" button that accesses your microphone and records the input to a WMA file.  Theoretically the file size is limited by your hard disk space.  The useful aspect of the recording feature is that if you type notes while recording, the program keys your notes to points in the recording at which you typed them.  So, if on review you are looking at a note you typed, there will be an icon next to it which, when clicked, will cue up the recording at the exact moment you typed the note.  Actually very useful I've found.

Ok, here's my question.  The recording option on Onenote fascinates me, but I'd like to know if in-class lectures can be picked up with a laptop's built in mike.

I've done some research, and it seems Dell, plus several other companies, do not build microphones into their products.  Some do, so can anyone recommend to me a laptop that has worked for recording lectures with Onenote.

Otherwise, if I got an extermal microphone, are teachers at law school cool with seeing students make digital copies of their lecture?