Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Best software for note taking and/or outlining  (Read 14643 times)

DOWNY

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Best software for note taking and/or outlining
« Reply #40 on: November 11, 2004, 02:25:40 AM »
I just write my notes on my hand with a marker and transcribe them to a giant chalkboard at the end of the day. It is the only way.

jeffjoe

• Sr. Citizen
  • ABA? We don't need no stinking ABA.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 13, 2004, 10:13:04 PM »
There's a update to storelaw that you can download for free.  It's 3.0.1.6 or something like that.  From what I read on their website, it is addressing some of the problems.

I downloaded it.  I'm sticking with StoreLaw for now at least.  I don't back up to the same file everytime now.  I keep a copy for each day's work.

It's strong point is the outlining.  If I put my briefs and my notes into storelaw, I can generate the outline and even pare it down by what I select to put into it at generation time.
Praying for peace in Iraq  +
Praying for the tsunami victims   +

ptlaw

• AOL Instant Messenger - KB4GYC
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: November 14, 2004, 08:57:38 AM »
I had my first problem with StoreLaw last night.  I e-mailed tech support and had the solution waiting on me when I checked my e-mail this morning.  :)  The quick response really impressed me. I was mentally prepared to receive an answer on Monday. 

I tried to print a brief, as I have done any number of times, using the [Print] button.  Using [Create Case Report] to print the brief solved the problem. However, it sent the brief to Word instead of Word Perfect (my problem, not theirs).  Anyway, using [Create Case Report] and sending the brief to my word processing program gives me more flexibility to tweak things as needed.

I really like the outlining feature in StoreLaw.  Everything is there and I can select what I want included for different reports.

ptlaw 8)

I still haven't made up my mind about StoreLaw. Out of curiousity, have you tried saving your data to another area? I tried saving my data to my thumb drive just to have it in another place in case of a major problem. The challenge was getting back to the folder on my hard drive when I wanted to back up again. I had to remember where to go. Of course, it would probably help to have all of my brain cells functioning. 8)

PT
NSL is cool!

Maybe the Hokey Pokey really is what it's all about.

jeffjoe

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 14, 2004, 02:02:16 PM »
I've had mixed results with their tech support.  Almost two months ago, I reported a problem with their spell checker.  It seems to forget the words I add to the dictionary.  They quickly sent me an email saying they would get right on it.  That was around 9/23.  That's the last I heard about it.

My latest problem is that I want to install storelaw on a different laptop.  when you buy it, you buy a license to use it on two machines.  I'm changing laptops and want to put storelaw on the second one and I'm willing to take it off the first.  I'm waiting on an answer to that.

When I installed the latest upgrade, I noticed on their website mention of a problem with restoring that was fixed.  I may have lost some data along the way, because I would back up my data on my jumpdrive and restore it on whatever machine i was using at the time.  I think I have a better way to do it.  I can double click on the backup file itself (once I've associated storelaw with that file extension) and it opens storelaw with that file.

duma

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 15, 2004, 10:46:48 AM »
I've been using SL from day one. I like it! My prof will be talking about one case, and than mention something about another, than come back to the first case. Storelaw gives me the ability to just go to that case in a second and make the extra note. I also like being able to make an outline with what I want.
There are negatives though... most of which have been mentioned (dictionary, bind keys, slow tech support), but as a whole, I find the benefits outweigh the negatives.
I see ppl using WORD all the time, and they have a seperate file for every case, or for every class. That would be an organizing nitemare for me. I like things organized, and easy to find. You can't beat SL in this area.... and that is the trump all of the negatives (for me).

TruthSeeker1

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 15, 2004, 03:46:53 PM »
thanks everyone I am using the 60 day trial of OneNote and it, so far, has provided all the organizing features I need.  Now if only I could find a faster way to enter numbers - the strip below my F keys are as slow as the integrated hidden numberpad on my laptop.
So I'm researching USB and wireless numberpads.  Hopefully I'll find a case for one too.

aryeal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #46 on: November 16, 2004, 09:58:25 AM »
I see ppl using WORD all the time, and they have a seperate file for every case, or for every class. That would be an organizing nitemare for me. I like things organized, and easy to find.

Separate files for every case would be really inefficient.  I have my notes and briefs for each class in one document.  That way I can cut and paste into my outline without opening a million documents.  I suspect the "one for each case" people will change their methods after their first outline. 

jeffjoe

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 20, 2004, 09:48:29 PM »
StoreLaw users:  I'm thinking that I should go through all my briefs and put a one or two line something in the Key Points area.  Then create my outline using all the topic stuff and only the key points from the briefs.

Does that makes sense to anyone besides me?

duma

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 21, 2004, 03:17:44 PM »
Yes Jeff, I have been doing the same since day one.

jeffjoe

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 21, 2004, 03:25:22 PM »
Yes Jeff, I have been doing the same since day one.

Have you looked at essay writer?