Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Best software for note taking and/or outlining  (Read 14680 times)

Maharishi

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Best software for note taking and/or outlining
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2004, 09:31:34 AM »
the question is: is it really more useful than just the old msword?

farnsworth

• Sr. Citizen
  • "Good news everyone!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2004, 10:50:33 AM »
OneNote seems to have somewhat better organization features.  Instead of dealing with a bunch of .doc files, you can have just 1 notebook file (.one) that you can section and subsection with ease.  It's designed more for outlining, so it makes it easier to move around items in your outline than the traditional copy-paste method.  It's best feature is probably the ability to mark and search marks easily.  Definitions, important points, things you have questions on, etc. can all be marked in your outline and searched really easily and quickly.

Is it nicer than Word?  I think so.  Is it worth $50-100 bucks?  Not so sure, I'd have a better feel after I actually used it at law school.  I'd say its worth downloading on your law school laptop around a couple weeks to a month before classes start to play around with a little bit and use at the start of classes.  Easier to decide then.

ga_kristi

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2004, 03:23:55 PM »
I've been looking at Storelaw, but was wondering something...

Does anyone know how easy it is to save your files?  For example, if I outlined in MS Word I would make sure and have it saved on the hard drive AND burned on a disk, I'm way too paranoid about losing my info.  However, since Storelaw incorporates so much more information I wonder how easy it is to save to disk.  Also, what happens when the program crashes?  Then how do you open your files?  At least with MS Word you could take your disk to just about any computer and still get into your info.

Maharishi

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2004, 05:22:09 PM »
Big concern for me as well.

That's why I think I'll stick with Word...
I prefer to keep my old habits, simply organizing my notes & outlines in folders and subfolders in Windows...

Helpful Harry

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2004, 07:31:13 PM »
Don't bother with anything more complex than MS Word.  If your outlines are long enough to necessitate special software, they're far too long.  KISS.

Stephen Cohen

« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2004, 03:44:42 PM »
I am neither student or graduate, but know Windows outliners.
Use Google to find the Web sites:

These are NOT in preferential order.

One-window outliners:  NoteMap, MaxThink, Inspiration 7.5

Tree-based outliners/Personal Information Managers:  There are hundreds of them:

Free: Keynote, TreePad Lite, Golden Section Notes
$$: Jot Plus, MyBase (teriffic for saving Web pages), TreePad
Business, WinOrganizer

Another product worth considering: Zoot. (zootsoftware.com)  This is strictly text with little or no formatting and no graphics.  It has a steep learning curve.  But you can set up rules to link notes to words, concepts, etc and Zoot will automatically use the rules to link the notes for you.

Steve Cohen, Ph.D. 

vw515

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2004, 04:17:58 PM »
has anyone used wordperfect. that is what dell sent in my bundle

farnsworth

• Sr. Citizen
  • "Good news everyone!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2004, 08:56:23 AM »
delete it, and install a academic priced version of MS office.  It ranges from $5-100 depending on your school's contract w/ MS.

Elysia

« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2004, 10:11:27 AM »
What about StoreLaw?  Is it worth is to purchase? will it make my note taking easier? Right now I was just planning on using Word...

Maharishi

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2004, 10:20:16 AM »
Has anyone tried CaseSoft's CaseMap?